Chapter 10

ALFIES POV

I scrolled frantically down my contacts list searching for my mums name. Aha there it is. The familiar ringing tone plays as I wait for my mum to pick up, getting more anxious by the second. It went to answer phone. I charged upstairs and grabbed one of my old jackets I then ran to the fridge and grabbed a can of diet coke. I locked the house up and sat in the drivers seat of my Audi. You Dick Alf I keep on telling myself. Think. Think. Think. Well it couldn't have been a fire because there clearly wasn't anything burnt. The police? No I say, what would she call them for. Oh no. Itis . The ambulance. Think alfie think where is the nearest hospital. I suddenly remember about the one about twenty miles away. I set it's destination into my satnav amd speed off. Twenty minutes later I pull up into the car park and hop out locking the doors behind me. By now tears are streaming down my face, I wipe the away and jog inside. A short fat lady behind reception looks at me

"Mrs grace deyes where is she?" I fire.

"Well I can't tell anyone that as-" she stutters

"I said where is she," my voice getting louder now.

"Ward 23 but-"

I didn't let her finish I was already charging down the windy white corridors. My hearts pace was QuickEning with every pace. Until I reached ward 23. I then sawa grief strickening sight. My Gracie hooked up to machines and with wires and tubes coming out of her. It didn't look good. Her hair was messy and her mascara was still down her face. It stumbled over to her side and collapsed next to the bed holding her hand and weeping into it.

.

.

.

I must have fallen asleep because when I stood up it was light outside, I saw my mum asleep in a hard, brittle visitors chair. I got a pen and piece of paper and wrote a note to my mum saying I had popped out and I would be back soon.

I stepped out of the automatic doors and the cool breeze hit me in the face. I got into my car and finished the last of the diet coke and set off for the town. I went into boots and bought a hairbrush and some makeup wipes to sort her out. I then had a browse around the other shops and made my way back to my car. I trundled back to the hospital and down the corridors to her. I heard a machine bleeping in the background and some people rushed past with a girl on a bed. That's not gracie I thought as I turned the corner to her bed but it wasn't there. Then I suddenly recognised her messy hair and messy makeup. I dropped my bags and chased after the rolling bed but I was too late they had already moved her into an operating theatre I think it was. I banged on the windows but no one answered they shut the blinds. Everyone was staring at me like I was a madman. But I don't even know what is wrong with my baby, that is the worst feeling. I eventually stopped hitting the windows as my hands grew weak and I slid down the wall and collapsed into a heap. I felt a figure looming over me, i looked up to see my mum stood looking at me. I pulled myself up and pulled her into me. Oh her soft scent of roses was so comforting as I hadn't felt it for months.

She ruffled my messy hair and whispered into it," there there alf, it will all be okay, mummy promises"

"What is the matter with her?" My weak voice questioned

" they don't know alf she just collapsed, they don't know whether it was stress or something serious, I was getting a coffee when they took her off," she said looking me in the eyes like a mum letting her child go on the first day of primary school.

We both slumped onto the blue chairs outside and chatted like we hadn't in years and years.

.

.

.

We both jumped up when they wheeled her back into her ward. She still looked the same old Gracie but with blood stains on her hospital gown. I chased them down to the ward and sat back on the same chair clasping her hand and not letting go. I reached for the makeup wipes and started to gently dab at her face until it was all clean again. Until there was not a single black smudge under her eyes.

"There you go panda," I joked my eyes brimmed with tears.

I then moved onto her hair. I gently sectioned it and brushed it with gentle strokes until it was smooth as silk. I then plaited it like Zoe taught me one time. I was then just sat there staring into her shut eyes. I was in a trance.

"Ahem!" A voice said behind me.

I turned around to see a doctor and a couple of nurses.

"Hi, mr deyes, I. Am doctor Martin and this is nurse Horton, can we go for a walk,"

He then shuffled me out until we got to a new set of brittle chairs. He turned and looked me straight in the eyes.

" I am going to have to say this straight, it may be hard and stuff but you will have to cope," he started

"Yes.. " I said hurrying him on.

"Well ...."

"COME ON!" I shouted.

"Alfie deyes, Grace deyes has terminal cancer."