Chapter 3: Disappointments

Arriving to the  doors of the great hall Hedvig turned around and looked at Harald, if he was ready to step into the building. He shortly nodded and the woman lead him inside, her eyes already looking for the king, but to her disappointment only the queen was presented. Hedvig never liked Aslaug, because she wasn't a warrior like Lagertha, but the blonde had to admit, the queen was a strong woman nevertheless, she raised four sons, even a cripple, all on her own. That was the reason why Hedvig respected her. Stepping closer to the lady of the city, she announced the new arrival.

"My queen, a visitor arrived to Kattegat" before the young woman could continue Harald bypassed her.

"Queen Aslaug" he nodded towards the woman "Allow my to introduce myself. My name is Harald but, my people call me King Finehair." Hedvig couldn't help, but roll her eyes at him, always wanting to be in the middle, like every other men.

"A king?" the queen looked surprised, this man was a king, but she quickly covered it with a smile "Then you are most welcome to our heart and home. Come, warm yourself by the fire." She motioned for a chair next to the fireplace.

Harald took his seat with his usual smirk and the queen signaled to a slave to fetch a drink. While taking her seat aside the visitor, Aslaug looked around and her eyes stopped at Hedvig, who was just about to leave the great hall.

"Come, Hedvig join us" called after her the queen. Hedvig quickly nodded and took her seat next to the two royalty.

"Tell me, King Harald, why have you come here?" Aslaug turned to her guest.

"The wanderers sing praises of your husband. They tell stories of his journeys far and wide. His raids upon England and Paris! He is a famous man. Why would I not want to meet him in person?" He asked back with a chuckle. "But where, may I ask, might he be?" Asked Harald leaning closer to the queen intimidatingly.

"You will see him soon enough." Answered the woman without a bat of her eyes.

"That's good enough." He nodded and turnt back his attention to the silent woman sitting next to him. "And what about you Hedvig? The great shieldmaiden. Are the bards singing about your great adventures?" A smirk covered his face as he took a gulp from his drink. Hedvig wasn't prepared for the attention, but she proudly straightened her back.

"Not yet, King Harald, but..." that was the moment when Ragnar appeared in the door of the great hall, looking curiously at the stranger in the middle.

"Who are you?" He asked, tilting his head slightly to the side. Harald rised from his seat.

"My name is King Harald Finehair and I am here to join you on the raid to Paris." With this words he raised his cup towards Ragnar, who just chuckled at this gesture. "And to accompany this amazing shieldmaiden on the raid" he pointed with his cup to Hedvig this time, with a huge grin on his face.

"Hedvig? No, she is not coming." Ragnar said and after turning around, left the great hall. Leaving everybody behind surprised.