Chapter 1: Preparations

Preparations for the raid started way before the actual departure. Everybody was thrilled to go on the raid. Hedvig went to the training ground everyday to bring out her best. She was getting better and better with a sword and became an excellent archer, she even tried out  herself with an axe, which clearly wasn't her weapon. Days went on like this.

One day, not long before the sailing out, Hedvig was collecting herbs for her ointments to take them on the raid and use them if it is needed. She was wandering around the forest near the coast. The wind was slightly breezing and brought the scent of the wet soil which was left by the heavy raining the day before. She was deeply in thought, concentrating on the plants around her, collecting the most important ones, which were decreasing the chance of an infection. After time to time her mind drifted off to the strange, new lands she was just about to see with her own eyes. Hedvig was fed up with the preparations, she just wanted to go and be there already. She needed the adventure and craved for revenge.

Those christians killing her father, took away the most important person from her life and she was willing to make them pay for it.

These thoughts were playing in her mind, when the horns in Kattegat were blown and their sound echoed through the forest. They mean somebody was sailing into the harbor of Kattegat.

Hedvig quickly gathered the last herbs she needed and made her way to the coast to have a look at the new arrivals. She was curious who they can be.

As soon as she reached the edge of the forest, she could catch a glimpse of a ship in the distance. The ships remained unrecognizable for Hedvig. Driven by curiosity she approached Kattegat to get to know these mysterious strangers.