Chapter 4: Promises

After the king's leaving, everybody seemed frozen. Hedvig's jaw dropped in her surprise, but she quickly shook her head and followed after Ragnar. She burst through the door of the great hall, anger welling up in her as she spotted the king. He was slowly walking away, picking up an apple from a basket left behind.

"Ragnar!" She shouted after him furiously, forgetting about his title and the respect she should pay to him.

The king stopped in his track and looked back over his shoulder. His first thought was that she is Lagertha and a scared expression spread over his face, then he realized it was just Hedvig. The resemblance between the two women was terrifing in that moment. He calmed himself down and get back to his usual self, while he took bite from the apple and turnt over to the fuming woman.

"What can I do for you Hedvig?" he bowed a little in her direction and a smirk crept over his face.

"You lied to me! You promised I can go on this raid, but you lied!" she split it out with rage, an angry teardrop escaping her eye. Ragnar bit from the apple and bent closer to the furious woman, the king looked absentminded.

"I answered your question, if you can go on a raid and I said yes, because you can, but not on this raid." he stated. He seemed like he was enjoying this tense situation and it's totally flustered Hedvig.

"Why?" it was the only thing she could ask.

"Because I promised it to your father. I promised him I would keep you safe and I am willing to that." he said with a little seriousness in his voice.

"By keeping me here? Locked?" she furrowed her brows, she wasn't expecting this answer.

"Just until you become a better warrior." Ragnar's reply sent Hedvig over the edge, she lost it, she couldn't hold back her anger anymore.

"A better warrior?! Just watch me Ragnar Lothbrok and you will see what can I do, because I promised to the Gods I would avenge my father and I am willing to do that." with this last sentence she stormed off, leaving a chuckling Ragnar behind. Gods, he liked this fierce woman.