Chapter 9: The Storm

After her talk with Halfdan, Hedvig didn't held that much distance between her and the brothers, on a ship little like this it wouldn't even be possible to avoid them. She got closer to Helga, Floki's wife, during the travel. They could talk a lot and only after a few days Hedvig considered Helga as a friend. Aside from rowing there wasn't much to do on the ship, just talking and thinking.

Hedvig liked to spend her time just watching the sea, despite the ship full of people, she often felt herself lonely. Hedvig enjoyed the journey so far, but dark clouds were flocking together above her head, which slightly scared her, since she was afraid of storms. This fear of her was beyond reason, but Hedvig couldn't help and watched the clouds with growing anxiety.

The night fell before the first raindrops, but the storm was getting closer and closer, it could be felt in the air. Hedvig tried to fell asleep in hopes of sleeping through the worst part.

As she settled near the pole and made herself confortable, a voice reached her eyes from the other boat sailing next to them. It was a beautiful song, sang by the slave Ragnar adored recently so much. As the song went on Hedvig could feel somebody standing next to her, she looked up and saw it was Halfdan. He slowly sat down and looked into her eyes. Hedvig turned away and closed her eyes trying to sleep. Without luck, her feelings conflicted her, she didn't understand why her heartbeat became quicker everytime he was near to her.

Not long after the slave stopped singing the first thunder could be heard and Hedvig startled from her half-sleep. She looked around with fear in her eyes, the storm arrived.

Hedvig tried to ignore it and pulled her fur closer around herself, but she couldn't stop her shivering. She felt somebody reaching for her hand, when Hedvig looked there she saw it was Halfdan who take ahold of her hand and reassuringly stroked it. She didn't understand how, but it helped her to calm down and sent a thanking look in his direction.

The storm aroused the tides and tossed the ship around as a child plays with a toy. After a huge lightning, an even bigger thunder echoed above the sea. Hedvig jumped in fear, but Halfdan laid his arm around her shoulder and pulled her closer. Hedvig didn't protested, just snuggled up to him and drift off to a sleep she thought would never come.

***

a.n.: okay I didn't plan this chapter, but after the midseason finale, I needed a little fluff, so here it is and now I crawl back to the corner to cry, see you in a few days 😭😭😭