Chapter 13: The Attack

The following day was the day of the attack. The vikings were ready to conquer Paris. Their plans was to sail up the river until they reach the city, all they had to do was to cover themselves as they sailed in between the two watch towers built on the two banks of the river. The raiders loaded the ships, prepared themselves and the time has come.

Hedvig was wearing warpaint on her cheeks and her favourite armour was shielding her body. She was traveling with the brothers. She could feel her blood boil from excitement as the fight neared them. Her behaviour lately surprised her, the promising of fight brought out her inner demons, something wild and raw. When she sensed blood she became something she would never think she could be, an unstoppable, fierce shieldmaiden, her dreams came true.

Getting closer to the towers the french archers fired arrows in their directions.

"Shields" Harald commanded. Hedvig raised her yellow shield above her head and get closer to the front of the ship so she could help to shield the king and his brother. Halfdan looked at her and she couldn't help but smile at him.

"I live for this. The only reason to be alive." Hedvig stated still grining, the inner shieldmaiden taking its place.

"The space between life and death, that's where we are the most alive." Halfdan smiled back at her, then turned his attention forward.

Hedvig, still smirking to herself, noticed an arrow drawing near to a gap between the shields, the head of it pointing right at Halfdan. She didn't have time to think, just leapt forward shoving Halfdan out of the way. Doing so she couldn't shield herself that much and the arrow pierced through her upper arm, sending her back a few steps, but she could keep her balance and stood back right in the shieldwall, her arm aching, but she didn't pay attention.

Halfdan looked at her with shock all over his face, his eyes widening with surprise. Why would she do that, why would she save him? He asked from himself. Hedvig was concentrating on keeping her shield high, so she didn't noticed the piercing gaze of a certain viking. Harald also saw what happened and he was utterly confused, but he couldn't think about it more as their ship reached the two towers. A loud sound could be heard and a thick chain emerged from the water blocking the river completely.

Everybody's eyes grew wide in fear as they realized this was the end, they couldn't do anything to prevent the crash.

"Stop! Stop! Turn right!" Harald shouted, but the collision was inevitable.

Hedvig tried to steady herself during the impact, but she fell to her side, breaking the arrow in her left arm, sending waves of pain through her body. The ship started to turn over and there was nothing to do, she fell to the cold water. With only one hand Hedvig tried to hold on to the overturned keel, but her hand slipped and she started to sink in the water. She reached out to hold onto something, but all she could feel around herself was the cold water. The lack of air burnt her lungs as she just sinked like a stone, muffled sounds reaching her ears. She accepted that this will be the end of her journey and closed her eyes, letting the water to completely engulf her.

That was the moment when she felt something griping her hand, but she lost her consciousness, before reaching the surface.