Chapter 15: Ruins

A destruction could be seen from the ships as the vikings neared their camp. Smoke was rising from the burnt down tents, a few things still was on fire, the air was filled with the groans of the injured. As soon as the warriors set foot on the ground, went to look for their loved ones.

Tears started to well up again in Hedvig's eyes as she looked around herself after getting off the ship. All this destruction and loss for what exactly? They lost and it pained her.

"Floki!" hearing Halfdan calling for the boatbuilder snapped her out of her thoughts. Hedvig looked in his direction and saw a woman laying on the ground next to him. That was the moment she realized it must be Helga.

Hedvig hurried there to help and arrived alongside Floki, both of them dropping to their knees, concerned for the woman in front of them. Helga was severely injured, her skin was burnt by the fire. Hedvig reached for her purse where she always kept her ointments with herself. She quickly went through it and found the one she needed to soothe the burn scars.

Hedvig carefully but swiftly employed the cream on her scars, then covering them with bandages, which was brought to them by Halfdan. Then there was nothing more she could do, Helga's life was in the favour of the gods. Two men came to take Helga away, into a tent to let her heal.

Hedvig stood up from the ground and followed Helga with her eyes, she only could pray for her to gods to spare her life. As her gaze left the injured woman, she noticed the other people in need and rushed to help them. She didn't rested as long as there was anybody who needed treatment.

When Hedvig treated the last injured, she was totally exhausted, she just collapsed to the ground and take a breath. The camp was starting to get back to its old self after the attack as everybody was working on it. Sitting in the mud and watching the busy people, calmed Hedvig down. She could see Halfdan approaching her and a smile crept over her face, to her surprise Halfdan sent a toothy grin back to her. She was genuinely happy to see his smile.

"You look tired, Hedvig, you did a great job today, you should rest." He looked concerned as he arrived before her, holding out his hand to help her up. Hedvig accepted his hand still smiling.

"I can't rest as long as I needed." She answered confidently.

"All the wounded are treated, you can rest"

"Maybe I can help with something else" Hedvig tried to resist, but Halfdan grabbed her chin and averted her face, so he was looking into her eyes.

"Hedvig, you did everything you could, now go and rest" he stated without a place to opposite him. "Come, I think your tent was already rebuilt" he looked over her face one last time and released her, heading away. Hedvig took a big breath and followed after him, grinning to herself.