Chapter 19: Final Battle

This is was it, the final battle. Hedvig knew it can't end well, she could feel it in her bones. The ships were ready, Floki made an amazing work with them, an extra platform was added to them. Extra space to fight.

Hedvig was worried about this fight, there were just minutes left until the departure and she couldn't help, but be afraid. She checked her armour one last time, her purse with her healing kit on her side, her sword in her hand, war paint all over her face. She couldn't be more ready.

Hedvig made her way towards the ships, most of the vikings already there, preparing to leave.

"Hedvig" she heard somebody calling after her and as she turned around, a smirking Halfdan came to her sight. "Be careful, Hedvig. May the gods be with you." he continued. Hedvig couldn't help her spreading smile as she answered.

"So with you, Halfdan" she said as they made their way to the ship, ready for a battle.

***

The viking ships were getting near to Paris, the final success getting to arm reach. The enemy was closing their way on the river. This was it, the end.

Hedvig was ready. Sword in one hand, shield in the other, as she was standing on the extra platform built for the ships. Tension was reaching an unbearable level, everybody was longing for a battle. Hedvig glanced to her right, where Halfdan stood, his features shadowed by his lust for blood. Hedvig was uneasy, she didn't trust herself anymore. Was she as good warrior as she first thought?

Halfdan catched her gaze and couldn't help but think how deadly she looked with the war paint on. He wanted to say something reassuring to her as he noticed the frightened look in her eyes, but the enemy arrived in that moment and the fight started.

Hedvig put aside her uncertain thoughts and charged at the french with a mighty roar. Battlecries could be heard all around her as Hedvig slayed with her sword, only her instincts leading her blade. She looked unstoppable, until a man, twice her size, stepped before and she aimed for his chest, but the man blocked her blow, causing her to step back. The french noticed her misstep and raised his sword to slash her side. Hedvig quickly raised her shield to block the hit, but the force of it sent her to the ground, her sword flying out of her hand. The man got ready for a final blow on her, but suddenly the peak of a sword appeared in the middle of his chest. He looked down to the wound with a surprised expression and as soon as the sword disappeared from him, he collapsed to the ground, revealing Halfdan covered in blood.

"Come on, princess. It's not time for a rest" he said with his signature smirk, reaching out a hand to pull her up. Hedvig let out a relieved chuckle as she accepted his help. As soon as she was up, Halfdan pulled Hedvig closer and attached his lips to hers in a quick kiss. The kiss lasted longer than a few moments, but it totally took Hedvig's breath away, sending a shiver down her spine. The raging battle around them disturbed their short moment and with a last look, they parted ways.

Hedvig immediately searched her sword, catching a glimpse of it a few feets away. As she reached for it, someone shouted.

"Hedvig!" And an unknown force collided with Hedvig, sending her to the ground. She could feel the breeze of something flying next to her head and then a painful grunt could be heard.

"Halfdan!" She shrieked as she looked up, seeing Halfdan with an arrow piercing out of his chest. He fell to his knees and clutched the arrow, the pain clearly written on his face. Hedvig freeze from the sight and the thought that first occured in her mind: it was her fault, Halfdan got hurt because of her!

***

So yeah... sorry for the late. It was really hard to write this chapter and when I did Wattpad deleted the half of it, so I had to rewrite, but here it is now. I hope you like it. There is just one more chapter from this book, but book 2 will be posted soon. Love you all <3