Chapter 7: Departure

After her encounter with the brothers, Hedvig tried to avoid them, since she wasn't sure, if she made the right decision when she agreed to go on the raid with them. But Hedvig couldn't help, because the day of the departure arrived and she would never miss this raid. She loaded up everything she needed in a bag, put on her armour, braided her hair and checked her weapons one last time. When everything was ready, had a look around her house and stepped out on the door. Her big adventure waited for her.

On her way to the docks Hedvig was thinking about the raid, how much she was waiting for it and how she will avenge her father. Just as she arrived in front of the great hall, Ragnar was coming out of there. Hedvig looked up to him curiously, what he will think about seeing her all ready for the raid, but he didn't looked surprised, more like as everything happened as he expected. Ragnar smiled at her and waved, Hedvig waved back and continued to the harbour.

When she arrived, she immediately recognized Harald's leading ship in the dock with the deer skull on the front. The brothers were already there, packing their stuff into the ship. She still felt a little uneasy around them. Halfdan was the first to notice her.

"Hedvig, you are here! We were afraid you got scared and changed your mind." He said with a smug look on his face as she arrived next to them. Anger rised up inside Hedvig, but she tried to hold herself back.

"You can just dream of me running away from a fight." She said as she dropped her bag in the ship and jumped after it. Hedvig looked back to the brothers the only ones who were missing from the ship. "Aren't you two coming? Maybe you are too scared." She retorted back. Halfdan didn't looked satisfied, Harald only chuckled and shook his head as he jumped after the woman. Hedvig looked at Halfdan again, smiling as she shrugged her shoulder. He looked clearly annoyed because of this woman, but he followed his brother into the ship nevertheless.

As soon as everyone was on board the ships sailed out of the docks and started their long journey to Paris.