Chapter 8: The Sea

Hedvig loved how the wind always brought salty steam. Sometimes she just sat near the edge of the boat in the back and watched the endless sea and dipt her hand in the cold water.

The ships sailed out of Kattegat just a few days ago and a long way was still ahead of them. However Hedvig enjoyed the sea, the boat started to be a little too crowded as the time flew past. Since the travel started she tried to avoid the brothers but on a ship like this, it was impossible.

When Hedvig looked up from the  water she could see Halfdan approaching her, she quickly cast back her gaze to the waves. With a faint thump he arrived next to her, closer that she felt comfortable with.

"Hedvig" he greeted her, she could feel his eyes on herself, but continued to watch out the water.

"Halfdan" she greeted back and risked a side glance to the man beside her. He was still looking at her, but this time something caught her eyes, maybe a sad expression? She wasn't sure, it was gone as quickly as it came and his usual smug smile returned. For a moment they were looking into each other's eyes, but Hedvig glanced away nervously. Halfdan only chuckled at this, but didn't give up.

"So you like the sea?" He asked, but it was more like a statement, but Hedvig shortly answered.

"Yeah, I do."

"Come on Hedvig, tell me what do you want to achieve?" He asked curiously. This question surprised Hedvig so she looked back into his eyes.

"Achieve?" She asked with a raised brow.

"Everybody is here to achieve something, my brother wants to be King of all Norway, Ragnar wants to take over Paris. So why are You here?" He leant closer, didn't breaking the eye contact.

"I just want revenge." She didn't sounded as confident as she wanted.

"No, you don't." He chuckled, his gaze still on her. In that moment she could feel as he is seeing through her and knows everything about her.

"I just... want to be a real shieldmaiden, who is feared and known all over the world." She answered nervously looking away, but looking back to see what he is thinking. Halfdan leant even closer, if that was possible and Hedvig could feel his breath on her skin.

"That is an amazing dream, never let it go." He whispered into her ear. Hedvig took a shaky breath, his closeness disturbing her, and asked back.

"But what do you want to achive?" After the question Halfdan leant back, ready to leave.

"That is a story for an other time" he said as he stood up and left Hedvig in the back of the ship to join Harald in the front.

Hedvig gaze turned back to the sea, but this time it wasn't calming, she realized she is missing his presence next to her.