XVIII

"What has your mum got for me?" Keith asked as they waited. "I'm not sure. I'm just hoping it's not anything . . . weird." Lance responded, avoiding eye contact with Keith.

"Trust your feet-" Keith started singing. Lance giggled a little. "You might think beauty comes in Spring-" Lance continued. "I think beauty comes in you, Lance."
"Wow, Keith, smooth. Not phrased right though."

Keith blushed. "You wish!"
"Oh, I do."
"Lance!"

Lance kissed Keith quickly. "Sorry to go back to this topic, but I don't want to leave you." Keith felt terrible. He could hear how sad Lance was, but he knew he couldn't do anything.

"I'll be here when you're back, Lance. I won't ever leave you. Besides, you have my phone number."
"Yeah, but I want to be with you. In person."

Slight tears fell from Lance's eyes and stayed on his cheeks momentarily before sliding down and dripping to the ground.

"Oh, my mum's here. . ." he breathed. Him and Keith entered the car and Mrs. McClain greeted Keith. "I haven't seen you in a while, Keith; how are you?"
"I'm good. Thanks for asking."

Keith looked to Lance who went noticeably quiet. "Keith, Honey, there's a present to the left of you. It's yours."

Keith leaned over and grabbed the box. "Am I allowed to open it?"
"Yes, of course."

Keith ripped the wrapping paper and opened the box. Inside was a small blue lion, perfectly sewn together. "Wow. This is beautiful, Mrs. McClain."
"Please, call me Bruna. As for the lion, Lance made it."

Keith's heart beat faster and he took the lion out of the box. "Lance, I, wow, thank you. I really do love it."
"Keith, do you need a tissue?"

As Keith was about to ask Bruna why, he realise that he was crying. Lance was looking back at him with sorrowful eyes. "I won't be here with you, but just pretend I'm the lion, OK?"

Keith let out a shaky breath. "I will. I'll always treasure this."
"I know it's gonna be hard, but don't make out with it when you think of me."
"Your humour never changes, does it?"

Keith started to cry again and Lance did the same not too long after. The rest of the journey consisted of the crying teenagers occasionally stating comments such as, "I love you," or, "I'm going to miss you" and in that moment they had never felt so united, but also so far apart.