Sixteen

Adam had a good exit off his line and was already a second up just heading into the first DRS zone on lap 1. At that moment he knew his teammate was in trouble of not just losing 2nd place in the race, but also in the driver's championship.

"Sebastian Vettel and Max Verstappen is all over the Finn's Mercedes. And they go 3-wide into the next chicane...!"

Valtteri didn't take any chance and braked early to prevent any sort of contact that could impact the results negatively. With that, he got demoted to P4 at the end of the first lap.

"Where's Valtteri?" Adam asked, noticing that the Number 77 Mercedes was out of his rear-view mirrors.

"He's dropped to P4, Adam."

"Driver strat 7-7-1-1-5-2?" Adam spoke into the radio, delivering a coded message only the team would understand. He was already world champion after all, so swapping positions with Valtteri would do no harm.

"We're looking into that. But stay focused for now. Push forward..." Came the reply.

Lap after lap, Adam pulled away and wasn't being threatened by anyone, cruising all by himself on the track. Although it was rather boring for him, there was a battle still being waged behind him.

 Although it was rather boring for him, there was a battle still being waged behind him

"Box this lap, Sebastian! Box box box..." Seb's race engineer requested as the German 4-time World champion punched the 'pit confirm' button, attempting to do the undercut.

Everyone there at the circuit and millions more watching at home expected the 21-year-old Mercedes driver to box immediately afterwards. But that didn't happen...

"It looks Adam's staying out, interesting strategy from the new world champion..."

"Sebastian's a whole second quicker than the previous lap

"Sebastian's a whole second quicker than the previous lap. If Adam wants to keep P1, he has to pit now..." Martin Brundle voiced out.

"Or does he...?"
.....

"Okay Adam, Valtteri's coming into the pits. He's in the pits." Andrew alerted. Under the helmet, Adam grinned before pushing the radio button. "I'm coming in this lap..."