Nineteen

"So, how have you been?" Adam enquired.

"Been better. Memory is still fuzzy." She replied curtly.

"Sara, I don't mean to upset you or anything but-"

"Yeah, I know what happened over the past two years. You told me. It's a little hard to believe, but my parents confirmed it, so I'm not doubting. So yes, I know."

"Then you know that-" Adam gestured to himself and her.

"Yes." She replied briefly.

"Sara, I know it's not fair to ask you out now, but I've been mulling over it all this while and I want my best friend back. I-"

"Do you realise how absurd that sounds?" She asked incredulously. "Think of it, I'll be on a first date, while you carry two years of baggage."

"Sara, I know how stupid this sounds. But this isn't the stupidest thing we've done. We've gotten away with worse. We'll manage. All I'm asking is for you to give 'us' a chance. One more time." Adam said.

"I need time to think about it." She replied.

Adam nodded. He looked out of the window of the coffee shop, at the familiar London streets as he finished his coffee in silence.
He didn't know how long they'd been sitting there, not saying a word.

Finally, one of them spoke up.

"Yes." She said.

"Yes what?"

"Yes, I will go out with you. Apparently you're not the only crazy one at this table."

"Really?" Adam couldn't believe what he'd heard.

"Yes. You've been nothing but nice to me all this while, you were there with me throughout my coma and the recovery from it. And I'd be lying if I said I'm not into you, because I am. I was just worried it would be awkward."

Adam nodded.

"Also," she added, "there's one thing you need to understand. If it's okay with you, good, we'll go ahead. But if it's not, I'll understand, but we cannot date."

"What is it?" Adam enquired.

"I might not get my memory back. It's more like a 50-50 right now. Are you okay with that? I mean, if I don't get my memories back-"

"Then we'll jus t make new memories." Adam affirmed, eliciting a smile from Sara.
For Adam, that made his day.

One year later

Adam was abruptly woken up by the sound of his phone ringing. Rubbing his eyes, he reached for the phone on his nightstand.
"Who calls at this ungodly hour?!" Adam said to himself.

"Ungodly hour? It's fucking twelve in the noon, sleepyhead!" Sara chirped as she walked into the room.

Adam cursed himself for oversleeping as he finally managed to find his phone.