Make Or Break

Friday afternoon, all of the football players, cheerleaders, coaches, trainers, and anyone associated with the Grand Ridge Dallas Jaguars were getting on the busses. Mateo walked into the athletic building to double check that they had everything that they were suppose to have.

When Mateo walked into the locker rooms, he made sure none of the players left anything behind. When he finished doing that, he turned off the lights and walked towards the doors. As he walked pass the offices, he heard drawers slamming close and papers flying around.

Mateo walked into the office common area and saw Ricky in his office. The Mexican man walked towards the doorway where the younger Egyptian boy instantly saw him.

"What're you doing?" Mateo wondered.

Ricky just shook his head as he turned his back to Mateo and looked through his book bag that was in his chair.

"Looking for this?" Mateo blurted.

Ricky turned around to see Mateo holding up his pocket knife. "Yeah..." he trailed off.

Mateo waved the knife towards Ricky before dropping it on the desk. "I know about that stabbing story from the summer before your senior year. How you stabbed that kid with his own knife and took off."

"Goddamn Jones..." Ricky whispered. "I don't know what you want me to say." He shrugged. "He pulled the knife out and he meant very well to use it. That knife was going in someone. It was either us, or him. I protect my family with my life and I'll do anything for them, so he messed with the wrong group of people. It was us or him."

Mateo sighed as he saw Ricky pick up his pocket knife and throw it into his desk drawer. "I'm guessing you know why I asked for those extra training sessions. I'm not teaching him to be like me or go down my path of life, I'm teaching him to survive in a place where they're desperate for things."

Mateo looked Ricky in the eyes and watched his hazel green eyes just stare right back. Mateo knew deep down there was nothing he could do about Ricky stabbing someone or Ethan getting bullied. Anything he would do would make it worst.

Ricky walked around the desk and patted Mateo's shoulder. "Let's go. It's game day."

~**~

The sun was going down, the lights were turned on, and the crowd was filing into the bleachers. While the football players were having their pregame pep talks, Manny was standing off by the cheerleaders along with Mila and Jessica. They were looking at the other side of the field where the opposing sidelines was covered in reporters, paparazzi, and news cameras.

"What's going on over there?" Jessica wondered, looking at her friends before looking back at the crowd.

Manny crossed her arms and rested them on her baby bump. "Remember that boy that was crushing on Clover over the summer? That Kiser Hill dude? His cousin's on the other team. He competed in the combine as a wide receiver. Got first ranked, too. Names Lucas Hill. Every move is crucial tonight. It's make or break."

Mila shook her head as she grabbed her pom-poms and nodded her head towards where the players were going to be running in. Her and Jessica went along with the other cheerleaders while Manny stayed behind and watched the game begin. Before she could even properly get bored, she felt someone touch her shoulder.

Manny looked up to see Andrew standing beside her. "Hey!" She greeted. Andrew gave her a hug before putting his hand on her stomach.

"Whoa. She's getting big." Andrew chuckled. "Pick a name yet?"

"Esmerelda Aurora." She informed him. "How's college life? Getting closer to the big times?"

Andrew smirked and shrugged his shoulders. He clapped and cheered when his friends ran into the field and did their usual formation along the sidelines before taking off their helmets and kneeling for the national anthem.