Demanding Questions

Monday morning was still and quiet. Diego and Stephen drove up to the school like they did every other day in Diego's truck. They both had to put the sun visors down from the bright sun rising on their way to the school.

The moment Diego pulled into the parking lot, they saw a crowd of people with cameras on the edge of the parking lot being yelled at by school security and by the principal and assistant principal.

"What's happening?" Stephen wondered, looking back while Diego parked the car.

Diego shrugged and hummed a response as he turned the truck off and unlocked the doors. They each grabbed their book bags and got out the car only for the group of people to come swarming towards them.

"How do you respond to the Vipers comments?"

"What do the Jaguars say back to their new rivals?"

"Who's gonna win this Friday? The Vipers or the Jaguars?"

Diego locked his truck while walking onto the side with Stephen by his side. They didn't reply to the questions that they were throwing at them.

"Are the Jaguars going to be dethroned?"

"Is this the game of the century? Female footballer vs female footballer?"

"Is it true y'all won't pass drug tests?"

Stephen chuckled as he looked at the man next to him who asked the question. "We pass all our drug tests. Maybe they can't pass theirs."

Diego leaned his arm on Stephen's shoulder as they walked inside the school and the reporters ran off to the next group of football players arriving to school to try and get some answers out of them.

Diego and Stephen went straight to their lockers where they saw their friends already waiting around and complaining about the yelling reporters in their ears this morning.

"Y'all get attacked, too?" Diego sighed. "And where's Lucky Charms?" He asked, seeing the smallest of the group missing.

"Athletic building." Jose answered simply. "She's fine. But they tryna get something out of us. Would've been fine until dumbass Ethan kept answering their questions."

Ethan smiled widely like a little kid. "Yeah! They asked so I answered. What do we have to say back to them? Humble yourselves. Are we criminals? No, but they mad cause we're just that good. Who's gonna win this Friday? The reigning champs. Hands down. Don't like it? We don't care, get over it."

Jacob shook his head, leaning his back against the lockers. "You're stupid. Whatever. What're we gonna do now? They talked, we talked back."

Stephen scoffed and turned on his heels walking away. "Whatever. Mateo's right. We're not gonna feed into it."

The rest of the boys followed Stephen to his locker since Diego just threw his book bag in his and grabbed a notebook.

~**~

In the middle of the school day, Mila walked to her 6th period class with Lo by her side. He had his arm draped over her shoulders as he walked her to class. When they got to the doorway, Mila took her books from Lo and gave him a kiss on the cheek before walking into class and he ran off to his class before he was late.

Mila made the dreadful walk over to Diego since when they chose where they would sit in the class, they were dating and the teacher didn't let them change the seating after their break up.

Mila sat down in her seat and ignored Diego slouching next to her. When the bell rang and the teacher started the class, she had them copy notes off the board.