Chapter One

|Kat|

"I still can see the velvet through my tears."

I strum a couple more chords on my guitar before finishing my video.

"Well, I guess that's it for today guys!! Just want to say thanks for watching and give me a thumbs up! Anyways, you know how i said i was moving?? Well, I actually have to move today so I will make a video of the trip and post it when I get there! Byeee!"

I end the video and begin to put my guitar away. I can't believe this is the last video I will have recorded in this house.

"Kat!!" My sister screeches  from downstairs.

"Yeah?!"

"Dad says we gotta go in five minutes!"

"Okay, thanks!"

I put my guitar in its case, and put my camera into its designated bag as well. Today, as my I stated in my video, my family is moving to North Carolina. After my mom left a month ago it got really tough on my dad to stay around the area so he decided to move my sister, brother, and I down the East Coast. I can't say that I am happy my parents aren't together, but I am so excited to start at a new high school and meet new friends.

I pick up the two cases and carefully walk downstairs. Walking into the living room, I begin to feel the sadness of leaving. This has been home for almost seventeen years. My thoughts become clouded with memories. Images of my childhood flash into my mind, taking me back to a happier place. A place where my parents were together and we shared the holidays together.

Letting out a deep sigh, I walk around the downstairs of our vacant house, tears threatening to fall. My fingers trace the countertop in our kitchen and I remember sitting on the counter, handing my dad different ingredients. We always cooked together. Another memory that will one day disappear.

"Hey Kat, dear, it's time to go." My dad says, softly.I turn to my father and nod, grabbing my bags.

As I walk towards the door and my dad grabs my camera bag from my hands, tears quickly begin to leak out and fall down my cheeks. Using his free arm, my dad pulls me in for a hug.

He softly kisses my temple, "It's for the best."

I nod and wipe the stray tears away, "It's for the best." I repeat.

My father and I both smile at each other. He closes the door and we begin down the path to our car. We throw the bags into the moving truck and get into the car. This is it! The journey to a fresh start begins.

"Okay, kids, we will be in North Carolina in 13 hours, so please, spare me of fighting." My dad chuckles, jokingly.

My siblings and I laugh and agree, for the sake of our poor dad. Having three teenagers can't be easy. We joke back in forth for a few moments before we all simultaneously begin to put our headphones on.

I am the second oldest child. The oldest is Daniel, he's nineteen. He is fairly tall, standing at 6' 1" and has brown hair and dark brown eyes. I come next, at 16. I have almost waist length dirty blonde hair, and blueish gray eyes. My sister, Anna, comes in third, she is 13 years old. She has light brown hair and green eyes. She won't stop growing. We all look fairly different, but we have similar features.

I tap my finger to the song playing through my headphones.

"I've moved
Far away
From you, but I want you to
Be here beside me, dear
Things aren't clear"

Ed Sheeran's voice rings through my ears, and I can't help but smile. I know that when the music in the background begins to fade, I am slowly on my way to sleep.

T-Minus 13 hours until I'm home.

|Shawn|

I strum on my guitar and hum softly to the music.

My phone begins buzzing, and I reach over and grab it off my desk.

"Hey Nash."

"Hey! So what are you up to?" He asks.

"Just chillin."

"Cool! So Cam and I are hanging out for a couple weeks this summer, he's actually on his way now, but would you wanna come hang out with us for the couple weeks? We were gonna call Matt, too."

"Yeah, man! I'll talk to my mom and let you know!"

"Cool! Oh and we are getting new neighbors today or tomorrow."

"Do you know any of them?"

"No..I just hope there are hot girls."

I shake my head and chuckle, "Well, Nash, maybe you'll be in luck."

"Yeah, well hey, I have to get going..see you Shawn!"

"Bye Nash."

I hang up the phone and set it back on my desk and call downstairs, "Mom!"

"Yes, honey?!"

"Nash, Cameron, and Matt are hanging out for the next couple weeks in North Carolina and wanted to know if I wanted to go hang out with them."

I hear my moms footsteps make their way up the stairs and toward my room, "Well..you'd have to fly down there. And you have your your starting, too. And What about school—"

I shake my head, "I know, Mom. But this will be the last time all the guys are together for a long time. I really want to spent time with them."

She sighs. And after a long pause she finally replies, "Do you have the money to fly down?"

"Yeah, I have a bit saved up from Magcon."

"Alright, well, I guess you can go then. But you need to call me when you land an when you're coming back. Oh, and i'll be staying in contact with the Grier's while you're there. I don't need to be seeing news articles about you being in trouble."

I nod, "Of course, Mom."

She smiles back in agreement before walking out of my room. I grab my phone and send a quick text to Nash.

To: Nash
Mom said yes! Flying down tomorrow.

From: Nash
yes! Okay I'll tell the guys!

I set my phone down and log on to my computer, buying a round trip plane ticket. After I buy the ticket, I begin to pack. This summer is going to be one for the books.

•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•

Hey guys!(: so this is the first chapter to my Shawn Mendes fanfic! Yes it is short, but I wanted the first chapter to be! They will get longer as the story progresses!! I promise! Anyways, I hope that you enjoy it(:

Love y'all!

-Shawn's Bae xo