Prologue

#Prologue;

"Lo?" I said, knocking on her room door. "Lola?" I said. Still no sign of her.

I tried to twist the doorknob, in an attempt to get into the room. The door didn't open, I stood at it for a second before pulling a safety pin from my pocket. I bent down, and pushed the pin into the door lock.

I jiggled it around for a bit before pushing up the little pins inside from back to front to get the door open. The door's lock released and I quickly slipped inside and then closed it behind me. I put the pin back into my pocket. "Lola?" I asked once more. Still no reply.

I guessed she was in the library or the garden, like always. Checking the walk in wardrobe, there was no sign of her.

I went towards the en suite-bathroom; stepping in, I could see that she wasn't there. Something caught my eye, something sitting on the sink edge, I went over to it up and looked at it, picking one up, I took a closer inspection.

A small, thin, long box. I read it over and over. Wondering what it was there for and why she would need it. I read it once more before putting it back by the sink.

"Pregnancy Test"

It sat in my head, the image of the unopened box.

I went back into the main bedroom and saw a piece of paper sitting on Lola's desk. I walked over and looked at it, I saw the blue ink scribbled over it, it was unreadable.

I saw the drawers, a few of them slightly opened, the top one having a few ends of paper sticking out. I walked over to the draws and opened the one with the printed sheets sticking out, I pulled out the four or five papers. They were all sheets printed off of the internet with little blue scribbles here and there. The fourth page caught my eye.

"Symptoms" it said across the top in bold writing, slightly bigger than the rest. There were a few bullet points listed underneath.

"Missed Periods" it said. It had a blue ring around, suggesting she had circled it. There was a little note next to it. "Calendar"

I took the sheets of paper with me and approached the calendar which hung next to the door, if the door was open it would have sat behind it. I looked at this months page. Six days were marked with large question marks. I flicked back a page and this time there weren't any question marks, instead seven days were marked with big red crosses and a smiley face.

She had missed a period.

So what? That doesn't mean anything.... Does it?

That doesn't actually make her pregnant.... Does it?

I carried on with the sheet.

"Nausea (morning sickness or a nausea feeling)" which was also circled, blue. "Calendar?" It was marked with a little blue dot next to it. I looked back to the calendar, I noticed there were the same blue dots over quite a few of the days this month, most of them, at least 19 out of 31. And it's only the 20th.

Everyday so far except the first.

Some of the days were marked with multiple dots, one of them having seven lined up at the bottom of the days square.

"Extreme Tiredness" was circled too. 'Sometimes?' Was marked next to it in the same blue ink.

"Depression and/or Mood swings" was the next. Depressions was circled and mood swings wasn't.

"The need to empty your bladder more often" was next. This wasn't circled. Instead it had a question mark next to it.

"Food Cravings" was circled, more than once with that. "Chocolate, chalk?, fast food, fried chicken, milk, sprite and the urge to eat grass?" Was noted next to it. Chalk... As in chalk that you would draw hop-scotches with in the playground at school? And grass.... as in grow out of the ground grass?

"Sore or tender breasts" wasn't circled.

"Baby bumps can appear from eight weeks, so don't expect one too early" was marked with "3 or 4 weeks?"

Three or four weeks? Three or four weeks.

She's known for three weeks and hasn't told anyone.

She's told Cameron.

She must have.

She doesn't keep anything from him. Any-thing. She tells him every little bit of information.

I think.

But why hasn't she told me?

I looked back at the calendar, in a weeks time she had a doctor coming in. That's bad. That's really bad. She can't be pregnant. She's only 16. She can't have a baby. Not at this time too. Not here. Not living here with some other girl and four guys. She can't have a baby.

This is all my fault. What is wrong with me? And if the others find out I don't even know what's gonna happen to me. I hadn't realised I had gripped the papers so tight they were crippled. I walked back over to the drawers and set the papers on top of them.

I looked through the drawers to find anything that'd help me, but I found nothing. I took a look at the papers a second time, after going through them once more I found a page about abortion.

I read through multiple times.

"Symptoms after abortions;

Abdominal pain and cramping

Nausea

Vomiting

Diarrhea

Spotting and Bleeding

In extreme cases;

Heavy or persistent bleeding

Infection or sepsis

Damage to the cervix

Scarring of the uterine lining

Perforation of the uterus

Damage to other organs

Death"

The last one caught my eye.

Death.

I know it said in extreme cases and probably isn't likely, but still.

Death.

Suddenly the door opened, Lola walked in, looking down at a book. She looked fascinated by its contents. She turned the page and a smile spread across her face. Its amazing seeing a smile still being able to sit comfortably on her face after what she's been through.

She was halfway in the room when she glanced up and then took a double take after seeing me.

"What are you doing with those!" She shouted as she saw me with the papers in my hands.

"Erm.. I... I..." I stuttered dropping the papers to the ground.

"Get. Out!" She shouted.

"Lola... W... We can talk about this," I said, in almost a whisper.

"Please. Just go." she said sternly, her fist going white from clenching it so hard, the other hand bending the book backwards.

"Lola," I said.

"Just get out." she said. I took a deep breath out of frustration; left the room and closed the door behind me.

I leaned my back against the door and took another deep breath.

Why am I so stupid?

••

Please participate in voting and commenting, it doesn't take long and tells me people are reading the book so I should carry on updating.

••