Chapter 8: July 6th

"Just follow the lorry!" John motioned to his mother Julia as she handed him his small red acoustic guitar.

It would be the second performance that The Quarrymen would perform in front of Liverpool and even though, John was still quite nervous how they would be perceived.

Olivia ran over to the side and blew a kiss to John, "Meet ya at there!"

John turned his attention to her and threw her a wink and a smile. It made John's heart melt to know that someone he was fond of supported his dreams, and she was just as excited as he was about this performance.

Even though the precession was what everyone looked forward to, the ride on the lorry wasn't the best. John and Eric Griffiths had the worst time trying to keep their balance while playing. Since the truck had been moving at a steady pace, they all had to move around and adjust their instruments so they could ensure everyone could hear what songs they were playing.

An hour later, the lorry had arrived at St. Peter's Church Field in Woolton along with the others. The crowd seemed to be a bit larger than last year, which made all of them just a little more excited.

John jumped down from the back of the lorry and saw Olivia running his way. She threw her arms around his neck as he embraced her tightly, "You were magnificent!"

He placed a firm kiss on her lips then smiled widely at her, "That's nothin', love. In a few minutes, you'll be hearin' the next Elvis on stage," he exclaimed, as he swung his hips back and forth.

"Elvis, Elvis! Oh my, take me!" Olivia placed the back of her hand against her forehead and pretended to faint like one of his crazed fans.

"John, John!" Two little girls with the same Auburn hair he had run up to him waving their hands, "We saw you!"

John hugged his half-sisters Julia and Jackie; patting them on the head as he saw his mother walking towards them, "Thought you weren't gonna be able to keep up!"

Little Julia rushed over to him and patted him on the arm, "You don't need any more of them lessons, I reckon."

John threw a small smile to her and shrugged, "Ah, don't be pullin' me leg now. I'm not that good, but it's a start, " He looked amongst the crowd, and his eyes began searching for someone, "Do ya know if Mimi's here?"

The smile slowly faded on Julia's face and carefully looked over her shoulders, afraid that she was right behind her.  The relationship between Mimi and Julia was a little rocky since Mimi had found out John had been skipping school to go to Julia's to learn music.

He looked at the frown on her face, "Oh, come 'ead now. I invited her too, ya know," he paused and glanced to the ground, "I've gotta prove somethin' to her; I can do this, ya know."

Olivia felt the tension between Julia and John began to rise and knew that this wasn't the time for them to get into an argument, "Well, I know you'll be bloody marvellous!"

Her gleaming smile was what John needed to rest assure him, "Ah, you're just sayin' that 'cause you're me number one fan."

"Oh, come 'ead now with the romantic shit, Lennon," Pete rolled his eyes as he picked up his washboard, "Can we go set up now?"

John nudged him in the shoulder, "Ah, keep your knickers on now, son.  We aren't late yet!" He smirked at Olivia and let out a sigh, "Wish me luck then."

She leaned in, placing her lips firmly on his and gave him that reassuring kiss that John needed.  John wasn't always so confident when it came to performing and ever needed that assurance from others to boost him up, "You don't need luck; you already have it, ya know."