A Wind of Change ~Kanto~ (Fin)

"Gladi, why?!?!!!?!??!!"

Beyond the phone, Gladion listened to the reaction of his lover, Hau, who was genuinely freaking out at this sudden terrible news.

"Hau, let me explain-"

"But why?!?! I told you I wanted to be with you every day for the rest of my life! How could you ignore that?! What are you doing!! It's a big disappointment, you see!!"

"I'm sorry, Hau. I apologize. But please!! Let me explain..."

Gladion desperately pleaded for a chance to explain his decision, but he could not stop Hau's heartbreaking sobbing that sounded from behind the phone. He clenched his jaw and started speaking.

"Hau, I decided to train in Kanto because I really wanted to get stronger. I wanted to become even stronger than I am right now, because I want to protect you and my family every time an enemy attacks. I am so grateful for everything you've done for me. I promise, I'll be back after one year passes. This is an absolute promise, and I will not break this-if I break it, you may think I'm dead. Not that I'll die while I'm over there.... Anyways...I swear I'll come back for you."

"......"

"I'll be going to Kanto to train. I hope you stay happy and healthy in Alola, and I will miss you so much...Hau...again, I'm so sorry. I thought I would not be able to leave if I saw your face."

Nothing sounded from the phone. Gladion stared at it, confused and anxious, but soon, nothing but a long beep echoed in his room of the cruise ship.

'He must be really unhappy.'

Gladion imagined, and let out a long sigh-he really did not want to make this decision. He knew it would hurt Hau in some way. But, he could not help it-after everything he's been through, he had realized once more that he was still not strong or mature enough mentally and physically to protect the ones he dearly loved. Therefore, he was setting out on another journey to strengthen himself to a higher level.

With a trembling hand, he neared his hand to his chest, solemnly vowing that he would come back safely for Hau, no matter what it takes-he would definitely finish his Kanto challenge within one year and come back to Hau. He could never desert his promise with him-he was everything to him. His enchanting smile, his positive and uplifting attitude, his kind and strong personality that rescued him from enemies and nightmares-Gladion probably couldn't live without Hau by his side. That was precisely why he decided to set out on this journey. In this world, there were infinitely many evil organizations and teams, and to protect Hau from every one of them required a superior strength. Like Sun, he would become a champion of Kanto, and bring glory to all of Alola and Hau himself. Gazing upon the setting sun of the sea's horizon, he solidified his oath of glory.

***

Sobbing, Hau sat in Sun's living room in the outskirts of Hau'oli City. Tears streaming down from his face non-stop, he complained to Sun of how Gladion had left him cruelly and ruthlessly, and how he said he would be back in one year. Listening without any words, Sun thought of Lillie's departure with her mother, and her brother's striking resemblance to her.

"Gladion will be back, Hau. Stop crying...it makes me sad."

"But, but...I miss him already!"

"I can imagine. You loved him very much, didn't you?"

"Sun, how am I going to live now?"

After contemplating about it, Sun replied thoughtfully:

"You've got to find a way of coping...we'll help you in any way. I'm so sorry."

"Thanks, Sun."

After departing from Sun's house, he looked up into the distant sky, gazing on the white clouds that floated on the sky effortlessly. While he was doing that, something caught his eye, an object, a dot, that was floating on the Alolan sky as well. What was that? And shortly after, he heard a scream that amplified as the object in the sky became gradually large-it was flying over toward him.

Shocked, Hau dodged it with all his strength before it crashed right in front of Sun's house-it was a pokémon and a person.

"W, what?!"

The pokémon was extremely large, and of a shiny black leathery skin and hints of blue light throughout its body. Was it Hau's misunderstanding? It looked as if it was letting out electricity-but everything it let out got absorbed by the rich soil of Alola. The person boarding on it was a young man of a fairly tall height-he straightened his spine as he recovered from the recoil of rough landing. The characteristic part of his appearance came from his hair and somehow sad-looking eyes; his long, beautifully green hair made harmony with his sharp, white face, while accentuating his distinct features.

"Who are you?"

Hau asked, genuinely wondering.

"Oh. Aww...where, where am I?"

"This is Alola region. You're not from here, are you?"

"Alola? I've never heard of that name...oh, sorry. My introduction is late. My name is N, and I am travelling the world with my partner here, Zekrom. He's a real strong pokémon."

"I see. Well, feel free to look around. Alola is a nice region."

"Wait, you! You look saddened by something. What's wrong?"

"I..."

In Alola, where Gladion was gone for the new year, a new wind of change was starting to blow as well.

----

*This story ends here!! Thank you so much everyone for reading my story! I promise I'll be back very soon, since I've been preparing for my next story while writing this one. Perhaps there will also be a short sequel to this first story of mine. Thank you again, and have a great end of the year, everyone! 

*Special shoutout to my very first reader, Qurachi!! Because of Qurachi, I could come this far and finish my story. I still vividly remember the first time I got a view and a comment, and it was one of the most exciting and heart-racing moments of my life! 

*Also, thank YOU for reading this story! I've reached over 400 views and it is so amazing!

*UPDATE: Wow, thank you so much for all your support. I never thought I will reach 1K views. It's all thanks to you, my readers! I love you all so much!