extra: Knowing Seirin

Miyuki POV

I knew it.

After the last games of the preliminaries, the preparations for the quarter finals will be tiring.

Coach said that I have to review all these videos of Seirin's past games and take note of their game plays.

We were up against them next.

I guess in had a head start because I knew Kuroko  kun was...  Unpredictable.

"I've watched most of those but still,  I'd like to know what you think, Akashi." coach said as I put the clicked on the first video. Sure. I know she's just testing me.

This will be much work. I might be able to finish this if I do this overnight later. "can I bring these home?" I asked her. 

"yeah sure." she said,  "as long as you present it on Wednesday."

.

So as I watched Seirin on my projector, it was incredibly noticeable how Kuroko was pairing up with that red haired kid. What was his name again?  Kuroko kun introduced me to him before.  Kagami  was it?

Other than them there was that other guy with the eye smile. Kiyoshi Teppei their center. He was good too. But something was holding him back. It was painful watching him not giving 100% for some reason. A past injury maybe?

But with all my attention towards him in every game,  for some reason,  I was feeling something deep inside my gut for him.

It wasn't pity..

It wasn't idolization either.

It was a mix of awe for his dedication and sadness for his setbacks.

He could have been so good.

Too bad he couldn't reach it...

But something else caught my eye. Which was totally irrelevant to what I should be doing right now.

It was his smile.

His smile was growing on me. It had a hint of determination and high spirits.

He kept on smiling even if they were losing. How could that even be?

I could not comprehend his reason... 

Or mine at all. 

•••

"you okay?" Atsushi asked me when he saw me dazed after the presentation of the videos I've chosen and compiled of Seirin.

I already told them the key points. Now they had to watch to observe what I gave them.

"yeah. I just have a headache from watching too much of Seirin's plays." I tried to shake it off.

"hmm... were they that bad?" he said as he munched on some chips.

"no.  Actually,  i don't know." I admitted, "they're not the best at skills but their passion for basketball..." I didn't quite know how to word my thoughts. because obviously you can't win with passion alone.

"passion for basketball doesn't win you championships. Talent does." Atsushi scoffed at me, he read my mind completely.

"oh by the way,  I want you to watch Kiyoshi Teppei carefully." I told him, "he looks like he's holding back, right?"