Homophobia is Non-existent

I've had this thought in my head for a really long time, and I've never talked about it much to anyone, but after reading a homophobic experience from someone on this site, I've just realized something:

I've never had someone say anything homophobic to me.

Sure, I hear the comments about gays being terrible and totally against the Bible every time something LGBTQ+ appears on my grandparents' TV.

Sure, I hear the slurs and people calling every single thing "gay" with a negative connotation.

But personally, I've never had anything like that directed toward me.

If you didn't know, I'm a genderfluid pansexual that acts really, really gay at times with friends.

Everyone at my high school thinks I'm a lesbian (probably because of how I act and the tux I wore to prom last year), and I honestly don't mind it. It's not the end of the world if they think of me this way.

If they ask if I'm gay or straight out call me a lesbian, I'll just tell them exactly what I am. Easy correction and then they'll know.

Though then I'd have to explain what that is because people don't realize there is much more than gay, bi, and straight. There's a giant spectrum of sexualities.

But thinking about victims being exposed to homophobic remarks makes me realize that it's very hard for me to be one of these individuals. Many people don't like saying things directly towards others and I'm not very social anyway. Plus, I'm in a hetero relationship with a straight man that loves me for who I am. So honestly, exposing me to this kind of stuff isn't easily done.

Possible, yes, but not easily.

For anyone out there dealing with the horror of homophobic remarks and comments, or those dealing with the stress of coming out because of these (I'm still in the closet to a lot of people), understand one thing:

Homophobia does not exist.

It really doesn't.

A phobia is an intense fear of something. An example is arachnophobia, the fear of spiders.

Honestly, what person in their right mind is afraid of people who aren't heterosexual? It doesn't make sense. We aren't people who are known to commit crimes, or carry a disease known as "the gay" in order to convert people to our side. No, we are just individuals who have different opinions and tastes, just like everyone else.

People will also say they are homophobic because of religion. "Oh, God said people who are gay are going to Hell so I must hate them." Grow the fuck up. I've seen nothing in that book that says "hate all gays" because it doesn't exist. If people were true to the Bible, they'd realize that they're wrong. In Christianity, it's believed to be like Christ: loving all individuals, forgiving those who have wronged us and helping those in need.

Who knew many people thought Jesus was a hater?

Irregardless of religion, people shouldn't hate others just because they are different. We're all just people who like different things. If we were all the same, life would get boring and tasteless; we wouldn't be our own individuals making choices that we prefer.

So remember: when someone says something completely homophobic, they 1. are saying completely irrational things that don't exist and 2. you shouldn't listen to their words of hatred.

I wish the best for my fellow LGBTQ+ and hope the world will someday understand we're just people.

Be safe out there and love yourself.

Love you guys.

-Jess