Stood Up

Phil sat there, his head perched on top of one of his hands as he stared into the distance. He had been sitting there for almost half an hour but he refused to admit that he had been stood up. He sipped at his milkshake, his head peeking up every time he heard the door open.

After a further twenty minutes, one of the waiters approached him, tired of seeing the stranger so down. "Are you alright?" The waiter asked and Phil glanced at his name tag to find his name was Dan.

"Not really." Phil had already finished his milkshake and he was literally ready to pour his heart out to a stranger because he just wanted to cry.

"What's up?"

"My date stood me up."

"I'm sorry. I can't make them show up and explain but I can offer a hot chocolate on the house? I'll even sit with you if you want. I'm about to go on my break." Dan's smile was soft and generous so it made Phil nod slowly.

"Thank you so much."

Around five minutes later, Dan was sat opposite the sad man, a hot chocolate in front of them both.

"Whoever set you up is a complete jerk. No one deserves that and I'm sure you're an awesome person too..."

"It doesn't really matter that much... He only went on one other date with me and I ended up getting car sick and throwing up over him. I don't blame him really. I'm kind of an idiot and who'd love someone who vomited over them?"

"You couldn't help that. My little brother gets car sick and it is horrendous so I know how bad it can be."

Phil took a short sip of his chocolate, making Dan laugh softly when he noticed the foam on Phil's lips. "You've got something here..." Dan mumbled, leaning over the table and wiping away the foam. Phil blushed slightly, looking down at his lap.

They talked for around twenty minutes, learning more and more about each other and finding that they had quite a lot in common. "I have to get back to work." Dan sighed, standing up. "But if you ever need someone." Dan pulled a pen out of his pocket and wrote a series of numbers on one of the napkins. He slid it across the table with a small smile. "Hopefully, we can talk again."

"Yeah." Phil replied with a smile. "Hopefully."

Yes, he may have been stood up but, if he hadn't, he would have never met Dan.

So I'm having a really really bad night. It's not even 11 yet oops. I thought I'd upload just because it might distract me for a bit. Yep. I'm really not feeling great but well who cares? I'll be fine eventually so don't worry about me :) I'M SORRY