Chapter 19: Past Part 1

The sky was dull. The houses dull. The people dull. All except for seven of my friends.

The rain pounded hard against my back as I ran down the street to our safe place. The night sky held no stars my father told us about. It held no moon, no life, no nothing. I hated-no despised it. I despised everything about this place. The constant  need to hide ourselves from the robots that roamed the streets to throw us over the wall for being ugly.

I slowed my steps down to a walk then to a complete stop string metallic steps coming towards me. I panicked frozen to place as the steps got louder and louder. I felt arms wrap around me and pick me up. Then I felt soft, but wet fabric drop on me and the person hide me in what I can only assume was a bush. I listened to the metallic footsteps reach were I was. My heart screaming as I wanted to burst out and run home. The metallic footsteps soon turned and faded away from me.

I breathed a sigh of relief as I felt the person help me out of the bush. "Son I always told you to run through bushes!" My dad angrily said to me picking me up and running to our safe place. "I'm sorry dad. I just...I was late and really wanted to see them." My dad sighed chuckling a bit before we plunged into a sand box. We fell for a short moment before landing on a matress.

We stood up and walked down the tunnel before reaching the main area. My firends crowded around something whispering sweet nothings. I was confused before Bebe turned around and run at us "Mr.Tweak! Craig he...he's hurt!" She said her eyes red from crying. I felt my eyes widen as I ran past Bebe and to Craig. His eyes widened and red. His face pale instead of its usual tan. His mouth open wide as if he was frozen in time.

"Craig!" I rushed forward and hugged him digging my face into his chest. I held his cold hands and looked up at him. "Craig please come back to me." His eyes moved rapidly as if he was on high alert. I let his hands go and turned his head towards me. "Craig please. Look at me it's okay." His eyes met mine they narrowed, his mouth closed and he tackled me into a hug. "It was awful. Fucking awful!" He breathed into my chest as he tightly hugged me.

My dad came up to us "What was awful Craig?" He said squatting down to drape a blanket over us. "The...the pits! They're full of bodies!" I saw my dad furrow as he tapped his mask against the floor. "What pits son?" He questioned. Craig hugged me tighter "the pits at the back of the main factory. They...they kill them! The uglies! The throw them into the pit!" Craig cried tears running down his pale face. My dad remained silent and stood back up.

My friends gathered around him. "What will happen to us?" Bebe questioned fear clearly in her eyes. "What'll we do sir?" Wendy asked next passion in her black eyes. "Let's rebel!" We all stopped our thoughts and prayers and turned to Gregory. He was the tallest of the kids and loved to cause trouble if only for this dystopian hell.

He stood next to my dad. "Sir! Last I saw the pits aren't there anymore! It's as if they got a new order all together! My theory is that they throw them over the wall now!" My dad dropped his mask. "How do you know Gregory?" My dad questioned staring at the boy. Gregory smiled "My dad works at the factory when my mother drops me off at school we drop him off first."

We all listened hope beginning to well up inside us. "And there are other rebellions about! Haven't you seen people climb the walls! Robots at night run past our houses from their duties and to the wall! As if trying to kill the pest before they get away!" My dad bit his lip and looked at Craig and then to all of us. "I'm going to look into what Gregory said. Next week we meet Friday at this exact time."

My firends nodded and with that we all left the safe place and back to our hells.