Chapter Four

Not again! I kept repeating in my head. Sometimes I would wonder, why my dad never came out to check on me?

I grabbed my towel and everything else I brought. The usual, music player, speakers, and my book. I ran as quickly as I could on the sand. Once I ran inside, I stopped to catch my breath. Then I went up to my room and placed the towel outside. I changed into a tank top and shorts. I had no time to shower, since I was already late for school. The sand was going to bug me all day.

I grabbed my backpack. Oh crap! I didn't do my homework! I really needed to stop sleeping at the beach. It wasn't summer anymore, and no one sleeps at the beach. I ran down the stairs and saw my dad on the couch, sleeping. Well, no wonder he never checked on me. He probably was asleep the whole time.

I checked the clock on the wall, so it was lunch time at school. Should I go? I didn't want to. Who would want to? It'd be wrong if I didn't go. I didn't know how to drive, so I had to run to school. How lovely.

I ran out the door, passing two streets, then started to slow down. I had enough running for one day. I decided to walk, I was already late.

"Hey!" I heard someone say, but I ignored them. I was pretty sure they weren't talking to me. "Hey!" I turned this time. I stared at him, and it took me a second to recognize him. It was the guy from the beach in his red convertible. I turned my head, trying to ignore him. I've never met him before, because a guy like that would never talk to me. "Hey, blondie!"

"What?!" I replied, annoyed.

"Need a ride?" he smiled.

I rolled my eyes, "I highly doubt we're going to the same place." He was driving slowly by me as I was walking.

"You don't go to Deep Blue high?" I paused. He went to Deep Blue high? What? I've never seen him there. He wasn't in any of my classes.

"How do you know I'm going there?" I continued to walk as he drove.

"You have the Deep Blue pin on your backpack."

"Oh," was all I said.

"You never answered my question."

"What question?" He raised his eyebrows. Then I remembered, "oh um, no thanks. I'll just walk."

"So, you're really going to walk all the way there?"

"Uh, yeah."

"It's a long walk, come on." He smiled, and I looked at his beautiful blue eyes. He seemed like he meant no harm and really just wanted to help me get to school.

I stopped and pressed my lips together. I went to open the passenger door and sat down.

"So, why are you late?" he asked.

"I, uh, overslept." He nodded. "How about you?"

"I went surfing," he replied.

"And surfing couldn't wait 'til later?"

"Nope."

"Of course." I sighed, putting my elbow by the door, and my hand against my chin. My hair was attacking my face, and it was getting on my nerves. I should really have a hair-tie at all times on my wrist. Even if I didn't need it.

Finally, he parked. I grabbed my backpack about to open the door, but the handle wasn't where it was supposed to be. I looked up to see him standing by the door. So, he opened it, how nice of him. I rolled my eyes, I was sure that was an act. I got out and continued walking.

"I don't get a thank you?" I heard him say.

"No," I smiled, knowing he wouldn't see it. When I looked in the distance, I saw Selena staring at me. If stares could kill, I'd be dead. What was her problem?

All of sudden the bell rang and I quickly ran to class.

***

"This morning you rode in the car with the new guy?!"

"Who?"

"The brown-haired guy who was talking to Selena yesterday. Well, she was talking to him."

"That was him?!" Ugh. I knew it was too good to be true. I looked lost and he wanted to help. He doesn't care, he just wanted to look good.

Ariel nodded, grabbing her textbooks from her locker. "Do you know his name? He's not in any of my classes, and I've never talked to him, but I plan to." She winked.

"No, I don't and good luck." I still wasn't used to having a friend. Everyday before Ariel became my friend, I use to leave school right when the bell rang.

"Thanks!"

I was thinking whether I should invite her or not. We did have a ton of homework to work on.

"Hey Ariel, want to come over?"

"Really?"

"Yeah, let's go."

"We're going to walk?"

"Yeah, my dad can't pick me up today."

"Oh, is your house far?"

"I don't think its far," I said. I was so busy talking to Ariel that I bumped into someone. "I'm sorry!" I said, I didn't even bother to look. Walk away, walk away!

But when he said, "it's okay, blondie." I turned to see it was him.

"My name's not blondie." I rolled my eyes.

"Then what is your name?"

"None of your business."

"Well, I've never heard that name before."

"Her name's Lara," Ariel said. I smacked her arm. "Ow!" Then she whispered, "you'll thank me later."

He smirked, "Lara?"

"Yeah?"

"So, that is your real name?"

"Yeah."

Ariel was looking at the both of us. She was turning her head back and forth, back and forth. She really needed to stop doing that!

"Well, um, it was nice to see you again, but I got to go."

"Bye, whatever your name is."

"Noah." Then he was gone.

I started to walk again so we could just leave.

"Lara! You said it wasn't far!!!"

"It isn't," I said, about to laugh.

"I hate walking long distances, it makes me sweat, and I hate sweating."

"No one likes sweating."

"Okay then!" She paused. "Oh my gosh! Lara, you live right by the beach?! Wow, that must be so nice!"

"It really is," I replied, smiling.

"We should actually go down by the beach!"

"Sure, after we finish our homework. Now, come on." We ran up to my room.

"Wow! Nice view!" Ariel said, standing outside my balcony. "We should do our homework here."

"The wind will blow our homework away. Come on, the sooner we get started, the sooner we'll finish."

"Okay, okay!"