40 ~ Thomas

The dark sky flashed brightly as fingers of lightening curled and sliced through the clouds of grey.

Seconds later thunder boomed, rumbling up through my feet to ricochet in my chest.

Splatters of rain fall in a reckless kind of grace, so hard that it stung my skin and thumped the house with rhythm.

My curtains flap wildly, my open window spitting rain at me as if it were a mouth.

Another streak of light stiffly flashed, lighting up my dark room for or a second, gleaming against my rain stained glasses.

My carpet was so soaked, puddles formed around your feet when you walked. My bed was damp and the layers of white covers and sheets turned heavy and grey.

My desk and everything on it was splattered as wind flung rain in. Papers and books matted together, ink smeared and sometimes a gust of wind would pick up a few pieces and throw them against the floor or wall.

And here I stand, in front of my open window. My face and hands sting with cold and my hair stuck to my forehead. I shudder, thunder growling as if to tell me to get over with it already.

I take a shuddered breath.
I can't tell if I'm even crying anymore. I can't tell anything anymore.

Except for one thing. I can tell that this is something I can't let slip through my fingers.

So I brace my hands on the cold frame of my window. The wind howled in encouragement as I brought my right leg over and leant forward.

Rain pelted my face ferociously, causing my eyes to water even behind my glasses.

I won't let this slip though my fingers, so here I come.

And with that, I drop from my window.

5 hours earlier-

The house was dark and quite after Valerie and Calum had left.

I was exhausted, yet so wake. I couldn't sleep even though I tried, even though my body ached for it.

Worry and anticipation gnawed at my mind. What happens when dad wakes up and Calum is gone?

What happens when he finds out that his back up card mysteriously purchased a plane ticket?

What happens when I'm the only one left for him to get mad at?

I roll over on Calum's bed, as if I could just turn my back to my problems. I breathed in slowly, embracing the soft sent of fabric softener and spiced cologne. Familiar simplicity.

I rolled back onto my back, restless. My eyes wonder to the blood stained wall across from me. I look away quickly, a lump hanging deep in my throat.

My tongue skimmed over my teeth lightly as I thought. I can't just lay here waiting for my dad to wake, I'd go mad.

I sit up with a sigh, my hand running down my face.

There's only one place I could go, and to be honest, I don't know if that'd be the best idea.

Sadly, I'm running out of options. Stay here and slowly wait for my demise or possibly face such embarrassing confusion.