t w e n t y f o u r

"Breathe Mila."

Camila's eyes fluttered open as she was met with the gentle face of Zayn.

The pair were currently back stage, amongst the rush of all of the other performers. Camila was visibly nervous, her small hands shaking as she grasped her guitar close to her chest.

Zayn walked towards the younger girl, quickly taking a seat next to her. "You're gonna do great, just imagine that you're singing to yourself and that there's no one else in the room."

Camila breathed out slowly, trying to calm her nerves. "Except, I want someone to know that it's about them, someone that's actually in the crowd right now."

Zayn's lips upturned slightly into a gentle smile. He nodded knowingly, momentarily placing a reassuring hand on the smaller girls knee.

The girl gazed down at his hand, flat over her knee, before reaching his eyes once again, a grateful look shadowed in her own.

"Just breathe." He whispered in a calm tone, that made Camila loosened her muscles slightly, relaxing as she cleared her thoughts.

"I'm on just before you anyway." Zayn laughed, removing his hand from Camila's knees as he casually sat back in the chair. His attempt at trying to soothe the tense atmosphere had worked for a second.

But then the music teacher appeared and Camila's mind kicked in again, sending her thoughts into panic, into overdrive.

"Alright students!" He raised his voice to hush the animated conversations, until they gradually stopped. "Get yourselves ready to go on stage. Kimberley, you're up first!"

Suddenly, the situation became very real again.

The voice of Mr. Garcia filled the whole stage, almost instantaneously silencing the talkative audience in front. "Hello everyone! And welcome to our annual singing show at here at Miami High."

An obnoxious boy in the crowd cheered, earning a few quiet laughs from his friends.

The music teacher decided to ignore the interruption, and rolled his eyes instead. "So for the next hour or so I would like it if you listened to every performance and appreciated the raw talent that we have this year."

"So without further ado, here's our first performer: Kimberley Jordan!"

The crowd roared in applause, syncing with the butterflies exploding in Camila's stomach as the ginger haired girl made her way up onto stage and Mr. Garcia walked off.

The lights dimmed, the show slowly unfolding.

It seemed to go very quickly, each performance seeming to last only a minute or so. In reality, Camila was just scared and lowkey dreading going up onto the stage. The performances weren't quick, they were lengthy and all of them were absolutely amazing. Powerful.

Finally, the time had come for Zayn to go on stage, insinuating to Camila that she was next...

"Well," he exhaled shakily as Mr. Garcia announced his name, "wish me luck." The brown haired boy laughed nervously.

"Good luck." Camila nodded towards the tattooed boy, her mouth going dry with the two words. She couldn't even concentrate on her words, never mind her song.

However, when the lights dimmed again completely, the spot light entirely enhancing the masculine figure of Zayn, Camila switched off her mind. She leant against the backstage wall, watching the boy as he stood, holding onto the microphone in front of him.

He cleared his throat briefly, the microphone catching the sound. "I wrote this song for someone special to me..." he began, stopping momentarily for a quick breath, "it's about myself wanting a person and not quite knowing why... cause I know that this person does not want me back." He looked down.