Chapter 23

Genna's POV:

For some reason, I wish I hadn't woken up. To me, my body giving out seemed like a sign. I've never thought of myself as suicidal, but I do know that it has creeped up in the back of my mind at my lowest moments, which is basically now.

When I wake up, I'm extremely confused. It's only when I see the IV's in my arm that I remember what happened; I was just reading and somehow passed out. Maybe it was the exhaustion, maybe it was that I wasn't eating, but either way it sucks. I haven't been to the doctor for what feels like forever (my mom never had the time to take me), so now there's a chance for them to find out I haven't been eating.

"Hey, Genevieve," The doctor says as she walks in. "Glad to see you're awake." That makes one of us, the back of my mind says. I quickly push it away.

A nurse comes in after she presses the call button and he takes my vitals. The doctor says I'm allowed visitors and my mom will be here around one to come check up on me. It is six now. She couldn't even take a full day off for work. For god's sake, I'm in the hospital! Her only daughter had to be taken to the hospital and I doubt she even cares.

Just now the thought hits me that I don't know how I got here. "Can I ask you something?" The doctor nods. "When did I get here last night?"

"Around seven last night," She says.

That means my mom couldn't have brought me; she had just left for a 'girl's night'.

"Do you... happen to know who brought me?"

She smiles at this and says, "Yes, a young gentleman drove you. He said he was your boyfriend." At that, she leaves the room.

Confusion swirls around me. I, obviously, don't have a boyfriend, so who could it have been?

++++

My mom came in crying. Maybe I should have been too, but I just don't feel like the situation has really set in yet. I don't regret anything I did and maybe that's the problem.

When I asked her, she told me Blake was the one that brought me. I don't know why, but I'm not hit with the amount of shock I had expected. I mean, he ignored me for days; why would he care that much?

That seems to be a constant question I have when I'm with him. He and I barely had a friendship a couple weeks ago, let alone anything deeper. Blake would never want that with me and he has proven it. Nevertheless, I'm hurt that he has yet to show up. His appearance has really affected me lately and it seems like the lack of it has as well.

"You're all set to go," The doctor says with a proud smile on her face. I stand up out of the bed, but stumble because of how weak my legs are. "Here's a pamphlet of all the resources we recommend."

Looking down at my hand, I see a bunch of rehabilitation clinic and 'tips' to 'get better'; this makes me angry.

"I don't need help," I seethe.

Her smile becomes sad. "Genevieve," Her voice is laced with pity and I hate it. "Your weight is incredibly low and one of those rehabilitation clinics seems like your best bet on a better future."

Frustrated, I storm outside the room, ready to get the hell out of this place. My mom is just now getting out of the bathroom and smiles at me.

"Ready to go?" She asks.

I nod and grab the jacket she brought me before storming off to the parking lot.

The drive is silent, like most of ours are. I guess she doesn't want to address the topic, which I'm thankful for. I hope she'll soon forget, so there won't be any repercussions.