Chapter Twenty Five

Carter’s POV:

“So this is your dorm?”  Avery was right at the edge of the door, looking at me as I walked right past her.

I placed my backpack at the foot of my bed, “Yeah.  I share it with Natalie, whom you’ve already met, and Leslie.  You still haven’t met her but it won’t be awhile until then.”  I walked to my closet and pulled out my black duffle bag.  My hands were shaking.  Even the deep breaths I was taking in couldn’t ease my nerves.  I turned around quickly, seeing Avery standing right outside the closet door. 

My hand gripped the duffle bag in my hands as I jumped back, “Crap, what the hell?”

She laughed and turned on the light switch, “Monster’s in your closet Carter?” 

I shook my head and walked past her, “Not exactly.”

You just scare the living shit out of me.

I waited for her to say something back, probably like, ‘Look I know you know I don’t like you’ and then I would reply, ‘Look I know you know I don’t give a shit.’ But nothing like that came out of her mouth.  A part of me was upset.  I finally had a good comeback and I wasn’t going to be able to use it.

 Damn it.

“Is this where you sleep?”  She pointed at the bed I had my school papers on. 

Alright, I guess she wanted to keep our conversation as small talk.

I nodded, taking my work and stuffing it in a folder, “Yeah, I got this one since Nat and Leslie already had their turn on the twin bed.”  I turned around and pointed at the bunk bed across the room, “The top is Natalie’s and the bottom one is Leslie’s.  You can look around but just don’t touch anything.  Everything is mainly Natalie’s.”

Avery smiled and laid down on the bed.  Her shoes were at the end, touching my sheets.  I was usually okay with people on my bed, but not her.  My eyes glanced at her shoes, waiting for her to get the hint.

“Oh, haha, um sorry.  I tend to do this a lot. I guess it’s just a habit of mine.”  She swung her legs off my bed and looked at me, taking a deep breath acting like she wanted to throw in the white flag.  “Look, Carter, I’m pretty sure we got off on the wrong foot.”

I pursed my lips, “You don’t say?” 

She crossed her arms and turned her head, “I know I came off as a little strong when we had our first conversation.  I never meant to make that impression on you, and I hope that you accept my apology.  Maybe you won’t, accept what I have to say, maybe you will but can you at least hear me out?”

I didn’t want to listen to what she had to say and I could have told her that the second she asked me if I would hear her out.  But I couldn’t do it.  I couldn’t tell her to walk out of my door and leave me the hell alone.  When I looked at her now readable eyes, I could see she was pleading me to give her a chance.  In all actuality, I never really gave her one in the first place.  I just judged her from how she addressed me the first time we ever spoke.  I had already marked her as a smug bitch but I knew there was more to her.  She’s just as much in my place as I am in hers.  We were equivalent in a way.  Both wondering what the hell one another thought of each other.