Alternate Ending

And after the surgery was a failure, we soon realized that god made us the way we are for a reason. If god wanted us to have a choice to change then he would've just let us pick us. The hearing aid exploding was an indication that Grayson didn't need to hear, for being connected to the world mentally allows you to be stronger than others; he didn't even die, for he was given another chance to live the rest of his life until that train stopped.
  You're able to live more and understand more about the world you live in.
And two days later had Grayson smiled and held my hand as we walked down a familiar road. Ethan held Bailey as she giggled at the silly faces Grayson would share with her.

"One day this little girl will like coffee and green tea as much as you do. And one day will this girl find her true love in a café," Grayson grinned as he gestured for us to jog across the limited street where cars waited patiently for the time to run out.

"And call her boyfriend 'Cafe Boy' as she writes on napkins instead of the notebook she would hold in her backpack for night studies," I added in as I squeezed Grayson's hand.

He gave a heartwarming smile as he pointed at the large crooked tree. The tree was bent over as if it had its aging. As if the leaves were weighing it down.
Bailey smiled her dimpled smile as she dropped from Ethans arms and ran directly where Grayson and I once sat, "sit...sit," she demanded with her eyebrows squeezed together. We all obeyed as she grabbed Grayson and Ethans hand, "brrr."

She played airplane with their fingers as she laughed menacingly at the crashing of their index fingers.

"Or our child will find her true love after she blows up the café trying to cook up breakfast?" I smile.

Grayson covers his face with my sweater as he laughs his loud immature laugh, "don't push this onto me now. The pancakes were doing just fine until you wanted to play tag around the house with paint on your hands."

Grayson's speaking has gotten better and he's now learned to read the words that travel from my lips quickly. People are usually gobsmacked when we bring up Grayson being deaf.
We hate using the word deaf because Grayson feels as if deaf is similar to being somewhat dead. You can't hear what's going on around the world and therefore, you don't have all of your senses; you're slowly dying and your like a ticking time bomb. Anyone can easily kill you in any way they want. You're not alert anymore and you're no longer alive if you don't know what's going on around you.
Grayson would say that his ears are on vacation. This would cause Ethan and I to laugh.

And later that day was when Grayson put Bailey to sleep and Bailey had whined for me to put her stuffed animals to sleep too. Bailey was another image of Grayson. Only with longer eyelashes and more feminine features.

"So I want to bring you to one last place," Grayson muttered to me as we walked down the dark street. Crickets were singing and the moon was guiding us.

We had stopped at a Café. One too familiar and too hard to forget.
We drank our teas and wrote on napkins.

As my eyes averted to the table that our hands were laced on top of, I saw words carved into the wood.

I hope she likes this one white petal.

I chuckled as Grayson furrowed his eyebrows. He looked down and saw the carved words, "oh no...don't look at that. I was a cliche at those times...a very lonely cliche."

And as we walked through the park we visited earlier, in front of that tree where Grayson and I had our first friendly date was where Grayson got on one knee and wished for me to be his forever.
That was when I covered my face and uttered a quick yes. That was when the wind and leaves showed us attention. That was when the birds celebrated and the tree congratulated us with a few fallen leaves.

But that same day was the day where a deaf kid, Julian, had died. His hearing aid had exploded and his brain was impacted.
On the news his parents mourned and a girl with blue eyes and black hair had gagged on her tears. And in her arms was a little girl who was oblivious to what was going on.

And just to think that a situation like this could happen to anyone was once impossible to me. But just thinking about Grayson being in that situation killed me. But thank you, thank you for not taking my hope away from me. If Grayson were to die, I don't know what I would do.

If Grayson would have died, I would have died too. And I'm a situation like this, who can survive under all that pain?

Anyone can be in any situation, but with enough hope, you can get through anything, and you'll never be crestfallen.

I love him, Café boy.