Chapter 8: The forgotten

Isabella Benson

Pushing the doors open, Nothing was stopping me from seeing my fiancé, nothing. Walking past Freya and Hayley, Hope and Lukah I walked till I reached the start of the stairs. Looking back at them, half with smiles, half with concerned looks on their faces, but I didn't care. How could I?

Turning back around I saw Elijah, a black tuxedo on, with a red tie. Walking down each step, a pace of a snail. Hands in his pockets, a drop of blood on his lip. I felt something was different, his presence wasn't the same, not the loving, caring Elijah I knew just weeks ago. Reaching the bottom of the steps he walked right past me, not even acknowledging I was standing right there, just a foot from him. He stares at Hayley, the same way he would stare at me. Walking over to her, he stood next to her as he turned around to look at me.

Looking at everyone else's expressions, maybe this was a dream? "Who's this? Why is she here?" Elijah asked, looking at me with a confused, yet angry expression.

My heart began to race, at the same time as it began to break as he asked those words. Staring blankly at him, a tear running down my cheek, Niklaus walked over grabbing my hand as he held it. Quickly putting my face in his chest I began to cry. Feeling his arms around me as he hugged me, it made me feel the slightest bit better, but not as much as it would to have been Elijah. Loosing my will to stand, Niklaus picked me up as he walked me to my room. Looking once more at Elijah, he was now staring at Hayley as they spoke softly to each other.

"Why doesn't he remember me?" I asked, a crack to my voice as I lied in bed. Niklaus pulled the cover over my legs as he sat down.

"He'll remember soon, it takes time. All he remembers is Hayley saving him from his nightmares. He believes that she's his guardian. His angel." He shook his head.

"This is what you were warning me about, not a dangerous Elijah but an Elijah that would break me." I swallowed the lump in my throat. "I just want to sleep, please leave me." I squeezed my eyes shut as I buried my face into my pillow, wanting the reality to end.

~~~

"I can't take this. I'm sorry." I shook my head as I grabbed my bag full of clothes. "Care for Lukah while I'm gone, please." I smiled at Freya as I walked past her and towards Lukah's room.

"Mommy? Where are we going?" He asked as he suddenly got up walking over to me.

"Mommy is leaving for a little while, not long." I smiled as I kissed his forehead. He frowned at me in confusion as I left his room, towards the downstairs. Lifting my bag up in the air before setting it in the trunk I looked behind me to Niklaus, an angry expression.

"Why are you leaving? You just think you can run from your problems, Isabella? Run from Elijah, the man that needs you the most right now?" He glared as he waited for a response.

"I need time, like you said, Elijah needs time. So please, let me go. I can't take this anymore." I shook my head as I closed the trunk. Blinking quickly to erase the tears I got into the car before closing the door.

"At least tell me where your going?" Niklaus asked from behind the car, but of course I could hear him.

"Mystic Falls." I frowned at the dash as I accelerated the car.

~~~

Stepping out of the car I looked up to the old clock tower located right in the middle of Mystic Falls. Frowning at its condition I closed the door before walking across the street. Examining the burnt black paint that was once white I put my palm on the wall as I closed my eyes.