Chapter 12: The end of the beginning.

Lying on the couch I watched the fumes of the fire break apart from the heat to exit through the chimney. How free they must feel to break free, to finally be away from what's hurting them.

The heat of the fire warmed my toes as I watched Elijah behind me from the reflection in the mirror.

Grunting slightly he pulled the knife through his hand as blood began to spill. "Vincent needs our blood." He raised an eyebrow at Rebekah as she seemed quite needled with the whole situation at hand.

"Right-" She huffed. "All four of us, and Kol isn't answering his bloody phone." She responded with the same expression. "He's finally got a chance at happiness, and we're asking him to come home and play host to a quarter of a demon!"

"There has to be another way." Freya sighed as she mumbled softly. Rubbing her pointer and index finger to the temple of her head she closed her eyes in frustration. "I'm going to the bell tower. I need more time to rummage through mother's grimoires." She shook her head before taking her leave.

"I'm usually the first one to want to get up and leave, but now that it's forced on me I'm feeling quite perturbed." Rebekah rolled her eyes as she came over plopping herself onto my legs.

"Elijah you know how it feels to be apart. At first, the freedom is exhilarating, and then one day, inevitably, you wake up with the pit in your stomach, that dull, aching feeling of missing the only people who knows you." I frowned referring to the three years I spent without the five people I've known for centuries.

"Until that very ache threatens to consume you entirely." He pursed his lips as he looked me up and down, a narrow to his eyes.

"For five centuries, we have been honoring a vow to stand together. All of us." I shook my head pulling my feet from Rebekah's bum. Standing up I walked over to Elijah to face him.

"Being separated is torture." Rebekah mumbled.

"It is." I sighed. Breaking the gap between us, Elijah placed his hands on both sides of my shoulders as he pulled me closer. His lips touching my forehead, he kissed me softly before placing my head onto his chest as his arms wrapped around me. Even though I'm completely and utterly vexed with Niklaus right now, we're family. And family doesn't separate. But from everything I know, the only way of saving Hope is to divide the Mikaelsons... forever.

~~~

"What do you want, Niklaus?" I huffed as I shook my head. Keeping my eyes on the bed I tried so hard not to look at him. Closing my eyes to stop myself from looking i continued to place clothes into my bag.

Goosebumps forming on my arm I felt a rush of wind as I could sense Niklaus just beside me. His cold hand on mine I frowned as he grabbed my arms. Forcing me to face him I opened my eyes to see the bright blueness around His pupils. "Please, let me speak."

Biting my lip I nodded slowly as my eyes wandered back to my feet. I would feel so terrible if I was never able to hear his voice again. After this spelling, this will be the last time I will.

"I have made many mistakes in my time, some that I'm not very faund of, but this here." He sighed. "You disregarding me these past days, it's felt like years. I cannot stand it. And the fact that I'm never going to see you again, it puts this weight on my heart that I've never felt before."

"I get it." I shook my head. "Your sorry, I've heard all too many times. I forgive you- but that doesn't mean I'll forget." Walking away from him was the hardest thing I could do. But for the sake of my feelings, I couldn't get any more involved with him.

"Isabella." He called out. Stopping at the door, my hand on the knob ready to turn it, I turned my head instead. "What?" I questioned.

Don't get involved Isabella! What did we just talk about?