CHAPTER EIGHT - January 2173 - Earth / Moon / Anthera

CHAPTER EIGHT

January 2173

Earth / Moon / Anthera

...Earth...

Both Tressel and Turner had arrived early for the first day back to work after the 'new year' break. They had arranged a meeting with Eric Taylor and wanted to be prepared for it. Only four days previously had they found out about their competitors forcing General Bolgon to bring their deal in line with their own. It had ruined both of their 'new year' celebrations. They were sitting silently facing the double door entrance to the room.

The doors opened and in rolled Eric Taylor with a warm, welcoming smile on his face, "Happy new year both. Did you have a nice Christmas?"

"Christmas was fine thanks," said Tressel. "How was yours?"

"It was lovely. We had everyone over. It was a little sad due to Roxanne not being there but still."

"And your new year?" asked Turner with an edge to his voice.

"That was fine also... Am I missing something here?"

"I had a disturbing phone call last Thursday," said Tressel.

"Last Thursday. New Years Eve. Okay, what's wrong?"

"It was from General Bolgon," Tressel was watching Eric's face which betrayed nothing. "Apparently, our competitors have found out the finances of our deal with him and he has had to bring us in line with the rest of his customers."

"So - we pay more for the product. It won't matter once we've expanded. We'll be able to buy larger quantities and so reduce the price again. What's the problem?"

"The General says that the only way the financial side of our deal could have got out is if someone here leaked the information. He knows it wasn't his end," Tressel gave Eric a hard stare.

Eric sighed, "So that leaves only me. Is that what you're saying?"

"Yes," said Turner. "We know it wasn't either of us."

"Okay. I wasn't going to do this yet but I haven't the time or energy to stall you both so you need to listen."

Tressel and Turner looked at each other. Neither had expected Eric to admit to this so easily.

"I did leak the information."

Turner slammed a hand down on his desk, "Why?"

"Because I'm taking this company in a new direction that'll make this Sodrum and Etheral deal you two have made look like peanuts."

"You're forgetting one thing," said Tressel. "You don't own the controlling share in this company. I and I alone have the majority share."

Eric smiled, "You do, do you?"

Tressel looked at Turner with a worried expression on his face. He had a 30% controlling share and the other two had 20% each. The three new partners only had 10% each so he still had the most.

"You're trying to figure something out David?" asked Eric smugly.

"The percentages are thirty to me, twenty to you and David and ten to the three new partners. Troy assured us everything was legitimate. There is no way you can have done something."

"Have you tried phoning Mr. Goldstein yet?" asked Eric.

"Yes, but his secretary said he isn't due back from his holiday until the 11th."