CHAPTER SEVEN - February 2173 - Juctice (Rebecca's Starship) / Trachus

CHAPTER SEVEN

February 2173

Justice (Rebecca's Starship) / Trachus

...Justice...

Neil gazed at Tanya asleep in her cot. He placed a hand on her blonde curls and watched the slow rise and fall of her little body as she breathed. He removed his hand as she stirred upon the contact with her father. He didn't want to wake her as he was on his way to the cockpit to check on their progress. He risked a gentle kiss to Tanya's forehead then left the sleeping quarters.

The tech room was on the way to the cockpit. There was a good chance he'd find Rebecca there. The ship was larger than a fighter but much smaller than most of the normal multi-crewed starships he'd been on. The Varsoomians had built an outstanding starship. It had the manoeuvrability of a Star Cruiser and the capacity to hold ten crew and up to five prisoners within the in-built cells. There was also a cargo bay which held two different vehicles. A four-wheel-drive which held seven occupants and had a compartment at the rear to hold up to two prisoners. The other vehicle was an extremely fast motorbike with more technology on it than Neil could understand.

He entered the tech room and there she was, sitting cross-legged on the floor, her eyes closed. Neil watched her. He admired the way her blonde hair bent over her shoulders. Her face looked so peaceful. She could almost have been asleep. He looked at her fingers, interlocked in her lap. He stayed quiet because he knew she was aware of his presence. She'd probably felt his approach before he got there.

"Did you want something babe?" her eyes remained closed.

"Not really," he replied. "Why are you sitting like that?"

"The last time I did this it took a lot out of me. I found it hard to keep my balance."

"Are you meditating?"

"Not yet. I'm learning Russian."

"Is it still streaming?"

"No. It only takes a few seconds to stream it. It's the process of my brain trying to absorb all the knowledge that knocks me for six. Are you okay?"

"Yes. I'm going to the cockpit. Meet me there when you're done?"

"Sure. But I may be a while. I'm going to meditate to relax my mind."

"Okay," Neil stepped forward and kissed her forehead. "I'll see you soon."

A smile appeared on Rebecca's face but her eyes remained closed, "Love you."

"Love you too," Neil left her in the tech room and walked to the cockpit. He sat in the pilot seat and checked the star map; still on course. Next he checked the internal systems; everything was fine and running smoothly.

It'll be brilliant when the StarGate is finished, he thought. No more weeks, months of travel. We'll be able to jump between star systems instantaneously. We'll be able to get to Tranchilite within 4-5 jumps depending on the route we take. Rebecca will be able to get anywhere she needs within minutes. Neil's face relaxed and he closed his eyes. Everything is about to change. Rebecca won't be able to look after Tanya for much longer. The new role that the Watchers have given her, and which she has embraced, is too important to the whole galaxy. I'll have to leave the Space Federation and get a normal job. I can't leave Tanya with strangers all the time. She'll never know me.

Rebecca had been meditating for two minutes when it happened. Her mind was wandering through the stars, helping her to relax when she felt a disturbance. She hadn't been doing this for long but she knew something was wrong. She reached out for a familiar planet and found Tranchilite. She could feel lots of conflict and a lot of different species were present.