CHAPTER TWELVE - March 2173 - Justice (Rebecca's Starship)

Rebecca was sitting, cross-legged, with her arms resting on her knees. Her eyes were closed, and she was concentrating. Her body might have been inside the rest area of the Justice, but her mind was wandering the stars. She had visited Osolite, Boam-Vista, Aramite, Kraptis, indeed every known inhabited planet.

Civil war had broken out everywhere except Greko, Earth and Varso. Even Solaris, the capital world of the Confederation, was being severely effected by this plan of Zeb' Zeptre's. She was still cut off from Varso. She had tried extremely hard to penetrate the planet's defensive shield. Whatever Tor' Thrum had done was effective.

Rebecca couldn't help but feel apprehensive about the inevitable clash with Zeb' Zeptre. Without the Watchers protection, taking him on was going to be the hardest thing she was ever going to face. She knew he was stronger and had a mountain sized advantage with his experience. She had some advantages of her own. He couldn't use fire or ice. Sal' Skit had told her that no one could use all these powers. No one except her. He couldn't explain it. It was why the Watchers were so excited about her. Why they thought she was the 'legend' foretold in their scriptures.

That last ability Sal' Skit taught me, scares me. I'll only use it if I must. It helped in the valley though.

Rebecca opened her eyes and smiled as she saw Neil sleeping on his bunk. He'd obviously come to her and found her unavailable. But he'd stayed anyway. She reached out with her mind again to see if Tanya was asleep. She was. Rebecca moved over to Neil and lay next to him. She felt his warmth and could tell that he had awoken. His breathing had changed. It was subtle but enough for her to notice.

"Hello, darling," said Rebecca.

"Hello. You were gone a long time. How's things?"

"Terrible. I feel so helpless. We're heading in the opposite direction. So many more will die because I can't get there."

"You need to recruit some help before going back. That's what they told you."

"Yes. I know."

"Perhaps you can help in another way."

"I can't affect anything from here, Neil."

"Can you talk to someone?"

"You mean with my mind?"

"Yes. Is there anyone out there that you could warn about what's going on. Maybe you could send help that way."

"Oh, Neil! You're a genius. Twochelope. He's on Tranchilite. I could get through to him."

Neil faced her and placed a hand on the side of her head while looking into her eyes. He moved his head forwards and they kissed.

After they parted Rebecca said, "I need to contact him straight away."

"Can't it wait a few more minutes. I require some of your attention," Neil was smiling.

Rebecca could feel Neil's desire, and normally she would have dropped anything for what he was proposing, but every second could count for this battle for the galaxy.

"No, Neil. I must do this first."

"First. Okay, I can wait," Neil was running his hand down her side as he spoke.

Rebecca could feel her body responding to his touch, but she closed her eyes and let her mind wander. She eventually found Lt Colonel Twochelope and gently entered his mind.

Hello, colonel. I need to tell you something, she thought. She could feel his shock at the sudden intrusion. It made a change to be on the other side of a psychic exchange.

'Rebecca. You made me jump.'

Sorry, colonel but I need to tell you something urgently.

'Make it quick, Rebecca. We are just about to storm the hideout of some Dowdneer supporters.'

Okay. There has been a communications blackout effecting only your system. There is a galaxy wide civil war breaking out on every world. You need to warn them or Zeb' Zeptre will have control of most of the galaxy.

'Wow, Rebecca. You don't come to me with small problems, do you.'

I couldn't message anyone else.

'I must finish here first. But I will tell the emperor as soon as I can.'

Do your best, colonel. I know you will. Goodbye.

'Goodbye.'

Rebecca opened her eyes and found that Neil had been busy while her mind was elsewhere. He was naked and she was almost there.

"What have you been doing, Neil?"

A grin spread across his face. "You didn't feel anything? You'll have to watch out for that in the future."

Rebecca shrugged off the rest of her clothes and pinned Neil to the wall with her telekinesis. "You've been naughty. You've taken advantage of an unconscious girl."

"But..."

"Shh! You must be punished. I need to teach you not to do that again," Rebecca was trying, and failing, to keep her face plain.

She walked slowly towards him, now naked herself, and ran a finger down the centre of his body. He was defenceless as she continued to hold him against the wall.

"Now. Where should I start punishing you first?"

Author's Note :- Thank you for continuing to read this story. As always, please comment and / or vote.

S P LAKIN