CHAPTER ELEVEN - February 2173 - Moon / Earth

...Moon...

General Bolgon sat back in his chair and sighed. He dropped his pen onto the paperwork he'd just finished signing. All three-hundred and sixty-six pages of various documents, forms and proposals that had needed his attention. He always read through every page he was required to sign as you never knew when someone might try something, thinking that he didn't read them properly.

He looked around the office at all the pictures, awards, medals, trophies and mementoes that had collected here during his many years of service. He paused as his eyes wandered over the drink's cabinet. It had no alcohol in it anymore. Just a variety of drinks that wouldn't leave him falling over and on the brink of unconsciousness again. There was a picture of the wonderful woman who had helped him kick his addiction sitting on top of the cabinet. She might be young enough to be his daughter, but they loved each other and everyone around him had accepted their relationship.

He continued to look around his office until he stopped on the locked, glass-fronted, cabinet that contained the urn of Chloe Bolgon, his daughter in law. Neil, his son, had left her with him to keep safe while he was doing his duty for the Space Federation. He was guarding the envoy team sent to an alien planet called Tranchilite. If everything had gone well, they would now be members of the Confederation. The envoy team were not expected back until the end of April.

Two months left, he thought. Actually, it's closer to three, the general opened his desk drawer and removed a family photo. It was a picture of them at the initiation ceremony from when Neil had joined the Space Federation. On the left was Andrew in his uniform. Next to him was Jennifer, dressed in her elegant white dress that she had loved so much. A tear welled in his eye as he remembered his wife. Jim, himself, was in the centre with his arm around her. To his right was Neil, dressed in his uniform. That had been the night that Chloe Lewis had first met Neil. It had been love at first sight, he was sure.

Jim put the photo back in his drawer and breathed deeply as he wiped away the solitary tear with a knuckle. This was when he used to go to the drink's cabinet. But he hadn't had a drink since October, largely due to Rachel joining him at his house while he was under house arrest.

Ah, Rachel, he thought. He opened a different drawer on his desk and removed his private mobile. He used his thumb print on the screen then said, "Rachel Walters." He lifted it to his ear.

'Hello, Jim. You all right?'

"Yes. I just wanted to hear your voice."

'Ah, that's nice. I love you too.'

"What you doing?"

'I'm cleaning the house. Are you still sure I'm all right to move in?'

"Of course. I'll take time off every now and again. We can spend time together there."

'Have you been thinking about her again?'

"How did you know?"

'I've spent enough time with you, Jim. I can tell from your voice. It sounds a little tight.'

"I'm sorry, Rachel. I don't mean to think of her."

'Stop that, Jim. You can think of her whenever you want – except, maybe, during sex. That would be wrong.'

Jim laughed. "I feel better now, thanks."

'Do you know when you'll be joining me?'

"We've just spent the weekend there. If you want to see before next weekend, you'll have to come here."

'I know. Miss you already.'

Jim noticed a light flashing on his desk phone. "Hang on a second."