CHAPTER SIXTEEN

DEALING WITH SOLEVAN

COPYRIGHT 2018 © JOESLINE

CHAPTER SIXTEEN

The paparazzi were still camping outside the mansion but the number has gotten lesser. It has already been a week. The situation sent me a comforting relief as I looked over at the entrance through the window from my room. Mom had told that the paparazzi that was stalking outside her house for a few days too had left. They must have realized the chances of me appearing there was slim.

Having nothing but only the worries that filled my heart, I sat by the living hall watching aimlessly on mostly, but usually the entertainment news. Wondering if there were any reporters informing a possible press conference set up by the PR department of Solevan Holdings. But it had already been a week and there was still no news about it. Could it be the arrangement took more than just a week? They might also be waiting for me to arrange it since the last time regarding the divorce, I was the one arranged it.

I let out a sigh. My eyes turned to the mobile that I had turned off. Hand held the phone with the black screen that prompted the void in my heart. It was a usual practise for me to switch it off when such swarm of paparazzi were searching high and low for me. But also, I was afraid to switch it on as well. I held on my chest as it thumped on every beat to my insecurity. Just what if... among all the missed calls, there wasn't him?

Just then, the main door opened. Melissa walked in with a face of exhaustion. She quickly took a seat beside me as she crushed on the sofa.

"You went out quite early today"

She let out a long sigh, "Mom's doctor said her condition has worsen. So, I went straight to the hospital in the morning after I woke up."

I gave her a slight pat, hoping it would give her some comfort. A servant then approached us as she informed that the lunch was ready.

Melissa asked the servant, "Did you use the codfish?"

The servant nodded before we followed her into the kitchen where the dining table was. As we sat down, the servants started taking out the dishes and arranged the table settings for us. Although Melissa was so occupied with attending to her mother, she still made the effort to have meals with me. I was more than grateful for her effort. Yet, my current situation couldn't allow me in return accompanied her to the hospital.

"Are you going to see her later at night?"

"Yeah, I have asked the kitchen to brew some ginseng chicken soup for me to bring over."

"Have some cod fish" Melissa took a piece and put inside my bowl, "This was bought just today morning. I had asked them to try a new recipe making this. Let me know if it tastes good"

I took the piece and started munching it. The freshness of the fish was mixed with a subtle taste of sweetness. I nodded, "There is a slight buttery taste too."

She smiled, "Yeah, it was baked with butter and some spices."

"Are you going to make this again for your mother?"

Melissa let out a soft sigh, "I am not sure but Mom loved cod fish. I had been asking the kitchen to try out a few different recipes. I will ask the doctor when I go back to the hospital if she is allowed to have some of this."

I frowned, "Is she..."

She sat in silence as she continued taking another bite from her bowl. Her expression would have very much said clearly the situation of her mother. It had already been few months since the last time she had told me about her mother's condition. At this rate looking at how bad her mother's illness had deteriorated; the end was near.

I coughed, "I was actually looking at some interesting places to visit. Like the famous Art Museum and the renowned Music Theatre in Rica. But I thought the white sandy beaches in Wales seemed like a pretty place that I should visit."

Her eyes widened, "You are leaving?"

"Mel..." I inhaled, "You know that I will eventually need to make plans for my future."

Her puzzled look prompted more questions, "Aren't you just putting up here temporary before you will move back to the apartment?"

"To be honest..." I bit my lips, "Jayden and I didn't just fight. He actually... cancelled the wedding."

Although there were many chances I could tell Melissa what exactly happened. But given that I always saw her so occupied with her mother's illness, I couldn't bear to give her another burden to worry. But just yesterday, I had received some positive response from overseas. I guessed it was now the time that she should know. Some employers had arranged me for an interview. It was surprisingly fast. Maybe it was my reputation as Mrs. Solevan that caused me unable to get a job in town. Fortunately, the outside world still holds the opportunity for me.

And as expected, she was furious after hearing it. Melissa's eyes stared at me in disbelief, "He... what? Cancelled the wedding? Did he think it through before throwing that kind of sentence? No wonder you are so determined to move out of the apartment..."

"No matter what, it has already become a fact. So you know that I can't possibly be living off in this mansion since I am no longer going to be a Solevan. And I can't return home as well. The paparazzi will go back and continue pestering my parents. The best solution was for me to find a job elsewhere and start afresh"

She held my hands. Her eyes filled with worries, "I don't mind that you are staying here. If you are not going to be Jayden's wife, you can still be my sister. We can do the necessary legal documents for you to become a Solevan. Annie, please don't go, just stay here with me."

I smiled, "I am already very grateful for your help these few days. If not for you, I wouldn't be able to be at ease to think it through."

"But..."

"I had sent out my resumes and the responses were quite positive. So, I am thinking of booking the flight soon"

She bit her lips, "But...if you leave now, you will be seen in the public. It will be harder the next time when you come back-" Then she paused as she noticed my ever-calm expression.

Melissa uttered, "You intended to book a one-way flight..."