CHAPTER FOURTEEN

DEALING WITH SOLEVAN

COPYRIGHT 2018 © JOESLINE

CHAPTER FOURTEEN

Yellow leaves laid scattered along the pavement. The wind breeze sent a slight chill in the air. Cars were seen drove past. Just like the people walking on the street, everyone had a place in mind that they are heading. Except me, wandering aimlessly in the street. My eyes stared in spaces, as I felt the heart unsettled. Every second passed just reminded me of my helpless situation. Jayden couldn't understand that I didn't want Anna as the wedding planner. I had no idea what Anna was trying to do. Would there be just a slight chance she had given up the idea of harming us and really wanted a closure of their relationship? I might had just been over-thinking things. Anything was possible. I had no proof to say otherwise. Frowned at the difficult situation I was in, I paused. I let out a soft sigh.

Just then a man called my name, "Annie"

I looked up as I stared in astonishment. "You..." Daniel's brother – Steven.

Shortly later, I found myself and the guy sitting in another cafeteria nearby. The waitress served us our drink before we were left alone. Stirring the spoon in the cup of hot mocha that I ordered, I asked. "What do you want?"

Steven replied, "I heard from my brother that you asked about me. He told me that he had gave you my contact number. So, I had waited but it had been a few days, and you hadn't call"

I did a slight nod, "I am not sure if I want to call."

He frowned, "Don't you want to know what Jayden was up to?"

"Does it matter?" I smirked at my pathetic behaviour.

I am ashamed of myself, embarrassed to even face what was coming at me. Yes, Jayden might be in the wrong for putting his ex-girlfriend as our wedding planner. But I had not told him about my feelings and only just protested silently, hoping he would know. Even if I were to know what he was up to, my cowardice behaviour would just made me said nothing or do nothing about it. Wouldn't it be better if I leave it as it is?

"If it doesn't" He added, "You wouldn't have checked on it"

I nodded, "Yeah, I do want to know but as much as I want to, I am afraid to know"

"Afraid of disappointment?"

I sat in silence, not wanting to say a word as I silently acknowledged. Yes, I was afraid to be disappointed

Steven let out a sigh, "Expectation and disappointment usually is just a split second of thought. Sometimes, the clues and hints might seem to lead you in a certain direction but the truth could turn out otherwise. I learnt to stay objective, not expecting anything after I became a journalist."

My eyes lit up in hope. "So, you are saying he is not running for presidency?"

"No" He shook his head, "Jayden had been seen pulling strings with many political members on separate occasions. He even contacted Louis, the previous campaign manager for the last presidency election. All clues were leading in the direction that he might have plans to run for presidency"

I frowned, "But it's just clues. It's not confirmed"

Steven smiled, "You ask me if he is running for presidency. So, my answer is No, I don't know about that."

I let out a sigh, "So, you don't know too."

He inhaled deeply. "I am a journalist. I investigate to find clues that I can write an article with an assumption in mind. But whether if it is true, it is up to you to find out."

Then a swarm of people holding cameras started taking shots at us. I widened my eyes as I sat froze, not able to react. Usually, Fall or Jayden would be here to get me out of this mess. Steven frowned as he grabbed me, "You should get out of here. They must have followed you."

Without much hesitation, I followed him as we dashed through the cafeteria. The store manager noticed the paparazzi that was crowding at the entrance of the cafeteria. She exclaimed, "This way" and led us to the back door of the cafeteria.

"Thank you"

The store manager turned and looked at the anchovies of paparazzi as she hurried us, "You are welcome. Faster go."

Steven led me further into the alleys as he checked on all sides for the paparazzi. "My car parked in a few miles ahead. You might need to cover yourselves from obvious vision while I drive us out of here."

I inhaled deeply as I followed closely, "Thank you so much, Steven"

Moments later, I crushed myself in the sofa. I was half exhausted from the thriller after getting chased by the paparazzi. I almost had forgotten I was put back in the spotlight. They would have followed me day and night to grab hold of any evidence for a juicy article. Just like Steven said, clues for an assumption to write an article.

Just as I was catching a breather, the main door was slammed open. Jayden walked in furiously. He threw a few photos on the coffee table. "What is this? Who is this person?"

I frowned, leaning forward as I took one of them for a closer look. These were photos taken of me and Steven taking our drinks at the cafeteria. It was just an hour ago and Jayden already had got hold of it. My lips uttered as I attempted to cover, "I... was meeting a friend for a drink"

"A friend?" His eyebrow raised a notch, "A guy friend you mean?"

I bit my lips, trying to defend my stand. "I am just meeting a friend, doesn't matter if it's a guy or a girl."

"Doesn't matter?" He raised his voice, "Annie Swift, you do know that you are put back in the spotlight because of me. Everything you do can affect the Solevan Holdings. Do you have any idea how your actions can cause some of the employees to lose their job?"

I stood up, eying at him. "Am I marrying you, Jayden Solevan or your Solevan empire?"

He emphasized, "Jayden Solevan owns the Solevan Holdings. You are marrying me, as well as the empire that is under my name"

"Is it?" I exclaimed, "Or you are just worried that I will ruin your chance of running for presidency!"

His eyes widened in disbelief, "You... checked on me" Shit.

My lips parted, but only to find myself not knowing what I should say. I stood froze, too afraid to move an inch. I didn't want to use this to confront him. I wasn't thinking it through. But what can I do now to save the situation? An apology would mean nothing now already.

His eyes narrowed angrily, "You could have asked me"

"Jayden..." I frowned, feeling embarrassed at my doing. I had suspicions and I didn't ask him. I didn't trust him enough to ask him. I didn't trust he will tell me the truth.

Just then, his phone rang. Jayden looked down as he smirked, "What a coincidence that Anna called."

Without any hesitation, he answered the call as he locked his eyes on me. "Hello Anna."

"I am fine."

"I know."

"No need for that. The wedding is cancelled." His gaze fell like an act of violence, a glare to stop my heart, "I will ask Fall to sort out the rest."

Jayden ended the call. His voice was stern, "Just like what you wanted. You are free now." before I watched him walked out of the apartment, not turning back once.