CHAPTER EIGHTEEN

DEALING WITH SOLEVAN

COPYRIGHT 2018 © JOESLINE

CHAPTER EIGHTEEN

Finally, the last item was packed in my luggage.

I knew by now I should have sort out my feelings. But still, I couldn't help having those second thoughts. Sitting on the bed, I stared at the phone in my grip. It had been three weeks already. I held the switch-on button. My breathing was inconsistent, nervous as I anticipated. The phone activated. I stared at the screen, waited as the phone ran it processes. The home page appeared. I held my breath as I waited for the reception to come up. The reception was on. In that moment of silence, my heart started to race. The number appeared just above the phone call icon.

"Three Hundred and Eighty-two" I whispered under my breath. My finger touched the screen as it revealed the call list. I scrolled it down, nervously searching for that one person I hoped for. And none in there. My heart sank. He didn't call.

Throat constricted as I trembled. Tears dwelled at the edge of my eyes as I struggled to keep composed. The heart ache was unbearable. It was tormenting. I grabbed my chest as I bent over, letting out in a loud cry.

Melissa would have heard me. She ran over to my side as she came to my room to check on me. She held me in arms as I leaned against her, continued crying. Her hand patted behind my back. Jayden didn't call. Why? But what was I expecting? He did make it clear to me three weeks ago. There was no reason for him to call me anymore. It would make no sense. But still, I was hoping that he would call.

Melissa held me as she cooed, "Just don't go already. You are just torturing yourselves."

I sniffed badly as I inhaled deeply. I shook my head, with all the tears smudging my face.

"Why do you have to be so persistent? Jayden is-"

"No" I stopped her, "I told you I don't want to hear anything about him anymore"

She gave up "Okay... okay."

We sat on the bed as she waited for me to calm down. After a while later, the tears had dried up. I was regaining my normal breathing. It was time for me to go. The servants helped me with my luggage as we walked downstairs to the driveway. Melissa had picked a black SUV to take me to the airport. With those dark window tint, it would be easier to get pass the paparazzi that were still stalking outside the gates.

Eyes watched the trees passing by as I left my thought recapping the memories. I still remembered the time when I was still young, with so much hope of an ideal marriage to marry the person I love. The first time I met Jayden was at the mart that I worked part-time between school. I could vividly remember his dazzling charisma as he spoke with that husky voice. He was like a dazzling spotlight that separated himself from others even with just a simple white shirt and a pair of denim jeans. I chuckled. Maybe it was at that point of time I had fallen for him.

"What's so funny?" Melissa asked.

I shook my head as I continued wandering in my own thoughts. Maybe as much as I thought I had resisted the idea of marrying Jayden, I actually wanted to marry him. Jayden was a person with little words. He hardly expressed himself, let alone even talked. Unless it was required for work, Jayden would prefer to sit in silence, reading his books or just watching the news played on the television. During this time that I had stayed in the Solevan Mansion, I got to see Jayden in another light. The subtle warmth that he had for his family. Even though he always said he didn't like his half-sister and his step-mother, he never treated them badly. He might be cold towards them but he still provided them the financial support.

And being his wife on paper for ten years, he had also never once treated me badly but only with utmost respect. If there was any to blame, it would have to be my own greed. I was the one who wasn't content of just being his wife on papers. Even after we had reconciled our relationship, I still wanted more from him. It was my own desire that I had caused my own misery. Now that I looked back, all the fights and misunderstanding now seemed so insignificant. Everything all started because I was insecure. If I had just asked instead of doubting him, we wouldn't have to come to this stage.

But there was nothing that can be done anymore. He had left. And I had found the way to live my life as Annie Swift. Maybe we were never meant to be together.

The black SUV came to a still motion as it stopped at the airport drop-off point. As the servant helped me to get the luggage from the trunk, Melissa held me in arms while we walked to the check-in counters. The stewardess took over my passport as she started processing the necessary paperwork. After it was done, I took over my passport and the boarding pass as I watched my luggage being tagged for loading up to the flight.

Melissa and I walked to the departure gate. As we were inches close, I paused as I faced her with a heavy heart. It was time for me to say my final goodbye.

"Annie, you know I will never lie to you."

I smiled, "I am glad I know you"

Her face turned serious, "Even if you're going to hate me for this, just hear me out for once. Jayden is missing"

In that split moment, my mood swung from anger to being shocked. He is missing?

"He took his private jet and left the country three weeks ago. I guessed it was the same night that you last seen him."

Melissa continued, "Nobody knew where he went. Or what happened to him."

"He probably did say to cancel the wedding out of anger." She let out a sigh, "I just want you to at least know about this. I don't want you to make a decision that you will regret later. But... I will still respect your final decision"

I stood froze, unable to react at the sudden news. "What... are you trying to say?"

She held up my hand as she reminded me of the boarding pass that was in my grip, "Do you really still want to leave?"