Promises

Ethan's pov
I had to ask. It'd been nagging at me. It was the reason I came anyway. "Why did you leave?" It came out softly strong but there was hurt behind the words.
Mackenzie's pov
"I couldn't stay." I answered, back turned to Ethan. I gripped the counter in front of me as Ethan sat at the island table. "Why not?" He asked. "Multiple reasons. Mainly because I can't do it. I can't be in Mark's shadow for the rest of my life. In LA, it was so much worse. Here in Ohio I'm free of it. I'm not constantly reminded of how I'll never be as good as my famous older brothers. I'm just the pathetic little sister. I have been my whole life. For the last couple of years, I've been free of it. I'm not about to go back to just being Markiplier's sister. I want to be Mackenzie." I exclaimed. "You can be. In LA, with me." Somehow when I was talking I hadn't noticed him come up behind me and lay his hand on my shoulder. I brushed him off and moved away. "No. I can't. I can't be in a relationship with you Ethan. I promised."

"Promised? Promised who?" Ethan's voice was demanding. A change from his goofy, light hearted, kind nature. "Myself, and Mark. I promised myself, the day we first kissed I'd never fall for you and if I did I'd never act on it. And then the day mark hit you, we made a deal. He'd apologise if I promised to stay away." Ethan looked angry. "Ethan. I took the deal because I needed the motivation to stay away from you. Cause I'm incredibly in love with you, and I can't control it. That's why last night... well, you know. You and I can't be together. That's the way it has to be." Ethan looked both angry and hurt. "I'm sorry." I whispered.

"Why?" He asked. "What?" I was genuinely confused. "Why did you promise yourself that?" He deserved answers. I know he did. But what was I meant to say? 'Because I'm a complete mess. I've never loved anyone before and I don't think I'm capable. That and I don't want either of us to get hurt. Cassidy was both part of the reason why we couldn't work and a great reason not to act on the feelings but when you and her broke up I no longer could find motivation to not do something so I promised Mark as motivation but ended up having sex with you anyway and now everything is just too messed up? Not to mention I have deep dark secrets you don't want to deal with?' Hell no, I'm not saying that. "Don't hurt yourself anymore than you've already been Ethan. That's not something you want to hear, trust me." And with that I walked away to my car. "I'm going out!" I called. No answer.