42 | Jannik Bersche and Ulrich Glücksberg

Hello, guys!

Um, some of you were interested in knowing the story of those two queers:

I'm willing to tell you, since I love talking about my OCs. XD

Grab your popcorn or ran away, for it's kinda sad, with WW2 in the background. Anyway, enjoy the story.

~

Jannik Bersche, half-German, half-Hungarian, Jew, an atheist though. He was quiet, but friendly soul. Due to problems with leg (he limped a little), he spent more time with books than people.

He moved to his family in Germany to study and help family in their business - they've had a bar that many young people visited.

That's when he met Ulrich Glücksberg - full of emotions and rebellious German, who played on harmonica in the bar, lying to his parents, that he's working in this time. The two boys quickly became friends, and even though they argued pretty often, they were very similiar and shared opinions. Jannik started to come out of his shell, they spend much time together. Soulmates.

One day Ulrich got very drunk and fell asleep in Jannik's bed, hugging him. Young Jew had hard time about this, because he started to think that he's homosexual - he didn't feel anything towards girls more than friendship, he found boys attractive. It was hard to accept homosexuality in 30s Germany, when the government was telling you that you're a monster, sending gays to jail. Jannik was afraid.

He didn't talk to Ulrich after this incident for some time, not knowing, that after long friendship Ulrich developed a crush on him. Finally, he gave up, built his courage and kissed Rich, starting their romance, creating an inseparable love.

They were so happy together. Agreeing not to tell anyone; too dangerous.

Buy life can be really cruel. In 1939 Ulrich was forcibly recruted to Wehrmacht. War could be felt in the air. Jannik was luckier, thanks to his leg.

They were saying their goodbyes, crying. Ulrich promised to be back. Jannik promised to wait for him.

Soon the war happened. Ulrich was sent to the east with his companion, attacking the eastern Poland. Battles were long and bloody, Polish soldiers, forced into defense, fought fiercely, Rich's companion was full of young, unexperienced, scared people. The young German himself was terrified of war, shooting and missing on a purpose, to not harm innocent people.

In 1940 situatiom became harder in Third Reich and Jannik came back home to Hungary. Even here he couldn't be safe though, when Hungary joined Axis countries in war. He didn't go to city due to Jews' oppression, he stayed at his parents' farm. So much pain.

In 1944 Wehrmacht's army came on Hungary's teritority. Thousands of Hungarian Jews were deportated to Auschwitz. Jannik was one of them.

He was about to enter the real hell, place, where not many men came back from. Place of their final pain and death.

As a Jew, he was one of the most opressed prisoners. Jannik had a strategy to not stand out, to not be visible, to remain quiet, to be a ghost. And it worked. He saw many of his friends die, murdered by merciless SS-men, without consequences. He was dying from hunger, weakness, but he survived. Many good people helped Jannik, he had much luck.

Ulrich meanwhile was still going to the east. He stayed in Poland for some time, experiencing the brutality of his mates. He saw them murdering civils, raping women, burning the entire villages. Rich didn't feel like hero Hitler was teeling them they were. He felt like a monster, he hated himself, even though he had to fight.

Campaign in Russia was a hell. Cold, hunger, blood. Ulrich many times thought about running away, killing himself... but he promised his lover that he'll come back.

In 1945 both men didn't think about each other much. They focused on surviving.

Until finally. Salvation. End of the war. Liberation of Auschwitz. Jannik was free; but he had nowhere to go. His family in Hungary died, his family in Germany vanished.

Luckily, young Jew met Mr. Peter - English man who came to Poland to write a documentary about cruelty in concentration camps. He needed a witness to interview. He needed testimony of the survivor. Jannik was one of them. They soon became friends, despite the severity of Mr. Peter.

But he had to find Ulrich. Soon Jannik found out that town in Germany he lived in for so many years was completely destroyed; nobody heard anything about Ulrich. He had no idea, where to look for him; he moved to England thanks to kindness of Mr. Peter and got a job as an accountant. Jannik was still sending many letters to find his lover, but in 1946 he lost his hope.

Ulrich lived though. He survived the bloody campaign, being taken as a captive by Russians and freed few weeks later; the man was very lucky to live.

He found his family, but there was no sign of Jannik. Ulrich's family was told that the young Jew moved out to Hungary, so Rich went there, searching him, but soon he lost the track. No. Not after all of this. He searched in United States, where some of Jannik's relatives lived. Still nothing.

Could he be dead? 

When all the hope died, Ulrich found out about Jannik in a... newspaper. In an article about Mr. Peter's work. Simple as that. It could be only a coincidence of names, but he didn't care and travelled to England as soon as he could.

Rich found Mr. Peter and asked about Jannik. And... he was there. The two men stood in a pure shock and ran to each other, hugging tightly, crying tears of relief - 7 years apart and they finally found each other. 

This night they spent talking, sharing memories about war, crying. So many pain they went through. Now everything was going to be okay. They both worked hard and came back to Gemany as soon, as they gained enough money. Finally peace.

But Second World's War experienced them on so many levels, leaving both physical and mental scars. Jannik kept on hiding food everywhere, in fear that they might run out of it one day and start dying from hunger again. Ulrich kept on waking up from nightmares, crying, that he's a monster with blood on his hands. But they had each other. They were slowly recovering.

Everything was going to be better.

~

Okay, that was long, but still it's not complete version. I spared you some details :p 

I was inspired by a movie about defencing Westerplatte in school... a trip to Auschwitz with school helped too. Besides, it was very moving experience... what a dark place... poor Jannik... they're both poor ;w;

I wanted to show the darkest face of the war in this story. And, creepy realization is that story like this probably happened in real life... eugh.

If you read all of this, you deserve a cookie and I love you XD  🍪

Okay, goodbye, y'all!

~Anaria