Chapter 4: Nowhere else to go

Nero left the last houses behind him and sat down behind a rock. Finally he started to realize what had happened: Kyrie was gone – he was sure she was alive though… And Credo believed that it was Nero to blame, even worse, he apparently got a letter from Kyrie that Nero was the one who she feared. Now the knights of the order were searching for him. And Nero could not just tell them that he was hunting demons because they would not believe him. They would not believe him because of Kyrie’s message and because they would not believe that there were that many demons around the city. He felt broken and torn apart. He felt as if he had failed – he had failed to protect the one he loved the most, even more than his own life.

To sum up: Nero could not go back into the city or show up anywhere nearby. He had to get away from here. After some thinking, Nero finally came to the conclusion that he could not do anything now – not at this time of the night, when everybody searched for him. So he decided to go to the one place that had come to his mind before. Therefore he had to leave Fortuna.

So Nero continued his way to the city where a friend of him had his demon hunting shop. The thought of his friend let a little smile appear on Nero’s face. It was because of the fact that he and Dante were really friends even though they had tried to kill each other when they first met.

Dante had been the one who had found out that there had been some demons beyond the Order. Actually the head of the Order, Sanctus, was also a demon and he had been planning to take over the whole city with a demonic machine. He had intended to form the heart of the machine out of two sacrifices: An innocent human – Kyrie – and someone who had the blood of Sparda in his veins. Sparda was the legendary Dark Knight: A demon that had fallen in love with a human. Both, Nero and Dante were descendants of Sparda. Dante came to kill and stop Sanctus before something worse could happen. Nero had no idea of what was going on at that time and he was sent after Dante by the order. He and Dante battled each other more than once before Nero was absorbed into “the Savior” (the demonic machine). After fighting many demons, Nero was finally able to free him and Kyrie. And in the end he and Dante became friends – and Nero and Kyrie became a couple.

After some two hours walking – and having to stop from time to time in order not to get spotted – Nero reached Jakarta. He hurried silently through the city and finally, just before midnight he reached the place he had been heading for. Nero was standing in front of an old building with a neon sign hanging over the door, it named the shop: “Devil May Cry”. There was also a little sign that said that the shop was closed, but Nero ignored it and just entered the building.

The view he got was just as he had expected it to be: A white haired man was sitting on a chair behind an old work desk, well actually not really sitting but lying, his legs rested right on top of the desk. The man was wearing his typical red coat and his white hair fell into his face.

“Dante.” Nero said as he entered the door. Now he was where he had wanted to be and he did not know how to go on. “Nero? What are you doing here?” Dante asked surprised. Then he took a closer look at the younger one: He seemed to be desperate, broken and he could also see that he was filled with – fear? Besides he was still standing in the middle of the room, frozen.

“Hey, what happened, kid?” He asked. Nero looked up and straight into Dante’s eyes with his ones that were filled with frustration, fear, confusion, pure horror, but also rage.

“She… She’s gone… He took her… I know it was him… Vergil… I… I gotta find her… find him… save her… Don’t know where to go… They’re searching for me… ” He answered the question too fast and without clear coherencies.

What was he talking about, Dante did not understand anything. Alright, Nero seemed to be really concerned, so she had to be Kyrie. And apparently someone took her. Wait a second, did he just say Vergil?! That could not be possible; Vergil was in the Demon World, not in the Human World. “Hey, slow down, Nero! Kyrie is gone? Who took her? And who is searching for you?”

Nero took a deep breath; he knew that Dante was right: he really had to slow down; otherwise he could not change anything at all. “When I came home, Kyrie was gone… I know that this guy took her. I met him in the city yesterday, when I was hunting demons – there are more than ever in Fortuna. He looked a lot like you: the white hair, the eyes – but his were much colder than anything I’ve ever seen. He was wearing a blue coat and said some shit about me belonging to his side. He said his name is Vergil. I have to find him. But I did not know where else to go because I had to flee from Fortuna, the Order thinks that I did something to Kyrie!”

Dante looked at his young friend in shock “Vergil?!” Nero gave him a surprised look. “Dante, do you know him?” “Well, you could say so… But I thought he was in the Demon World… He must have somehow escaped… Nero – I know him because…”

***   ***   ***

Cliffhanger! Alright some of you might already know why Dante knows Vergil. The picture shows Dante and Nero :) Keep reading!

till next time

~M