Chapter 7: The cave

Dante and Nero were falling through the air, but they weren’t for long. Shortly after the jump, Dante hit the ground hard, and still he managed to stand. Most likely because everything else would have caused the still unconscious Nero hit the ground and Dante knew that he could not risk the kid get even more hurt.

He wanted nothing more than bringing some miles between him and Vergil, but he knew that Nero needed to rest. So Dante turned around, looking for some place to hide. And he was successful: There was the entrance to a small cave only a few meters away from the two of them. “Come on kid, it’s not far!” Dante tried to encourage the younger one even though he was unconscious.

Some minutes later they were inside the cave and Dante was about to tear his shirt into stripes in order to use it as a bandage for Nero’s chest, when he realized that the huge wound had stopped bleeding and even more there was a blue glow around the wound and Dante knew that the demonic healing had started. But to his shock Nero seemed to be slipping into consciousness at that moment – the poor kid, demonic healing was extremely painful and this wound had nearly killed him…

“Argh”, Nero winced and groaned in pain. Dante put a soothing hand on the younger one’s shoulder. “It’s alright, kid, you are save now.” Dante thought for a moment then he said: “You know Nero, you did do a pretty good fight tonight. You should not have left without me but still you really fought well. I just hope you’ve learnt your lesson: If I tell you that someone is too powerful to fight then you should really listen to me.”

Nero let out a weak and coughing chuckle, then he whispered: “Is it true? He’s my… father?” Dante sighed, he did not want Nero to carry the burden of his father being an evil half devil. But he also knew that he had to tell the truth now. “I am so sorry, Nero. I thought he was in the demon world forever. And after I found out he had escaped I just did not want you to worry about it…”

“But Dante… if that’s true, then you’re my uncle. Did you know?” Nero murmured and opened his eyes a little bit. Dante felt the anger rise in his heart as he saw the pain in Nero’s eyes, the pain he tried to hide but he could not entirely. He would take revenge on Vergil for what he had done to the kid. Vergil might be Nero’s father but Dante felt like he was the one to do this job.

“Yes, Nero, I am your uncle and yes, I did know about it. Otherwise I would have never let you ‘win’ the battle when we first met and you attacked me. And I would not have given Yamato to you if I had not known that you are family. And now you will rest, kid, and I’m gonna think of where Vergil could have taken Kyrie.”

Nero felt a warmth around his heart as he heart Dante say the word ‘family’. He had never had a family, he had never belonged anywhere. Nero was not mad at Dante at all, he was just glad to have finally found a family. With this warmth in his heart he felt himself slowly drifting to a deep, healing sleep.

***   ***   ***

Sorry it took me so long, but finally here is your update!

Keep reading, voting and commenting!

till next time

~M