Chapter 12: Empathy to the Max

Emilee's POV:

Matt was my only friend in this highschool. And I wasn't about to mess it up by developing a crush on him. But I just couldn't help it. He was just way too imperfect. Let me elaborate more. I loved his snake bites, and the fact that he wore sunglasses constantly made him look like a '2 kool 4 u' douche. His shaggy brown hair. His very freaky but very pretty eyes, ones he only opened around me. The fact that we were both spontaneous and impulsive. The fact that he took my hand the other day... 

        Since my emotions were over the top and I could feel his even more nowadays, you could only imagine how emotional I was getting lately. I pretty much gave myself four cavities by turning to my only vice; blue raspberry dumdums. People were already laughing at me when I came to school with bleached and dyed hair, now they were laughing at me because I looked like I had blue lipstick. And my teeth and tongue were blue. It only took so much before I finally lost it.

I was sitting in class, right next to Matt as per ushe, and tears were threatening to spill over as I tried to read our assigned chapters. I couldn't concentrate because I had a horrible headache, and I was totally absorbed in Matt's emotions as well as mine. Since I grew closer to him, I began to feel his emotions. Now I was feeling tired twice, smitten, sad, and anger for no reason. It didn't help that whenever a student passed my desk to go ask the teacher something they'd whisper "freak". 

        The character in the book we were supposed to read just died, and as I read that line I pretty much felt my heart collapse. I got up quickly and left the room, trying to do it quietly. I grabbed the bathroom pass on the way out so people would think I just had to pee.

The hallway was nice and empty, and much cooler than our classroom. I walked quickly to the bathroom, tears spilling over, and a stall opened just as I walked past it. Cold, hard whatever it was made of slammed into my face, and I got knocked backwards, onto my butt on the cold tile floor. 

        "Ahhh fuck!" I said, holding my nose as my eyes watered even more. I felt blood come out of it. It was sure to be broken.

        "Oh my GodOh my GodOh my God I'm so sorry!" A girl's voice said. I waved a hand to tell her it was fine, and I felt fear radiate off of her, as well as pity and worry.

        "Its fide. Doest hurt dat buch." I say. She kneels down in front of me, and she has thick strawberry-blonde hair and dark freckles all over her face. Big blue eyes too. She's biting her nails, worried.

        "Geez, did I bruise your mouth too!?!?" She asks. I actually laugh before it hurts.

        "No, raspberry suckers." I say. She smiles, showing a small gap between her front teeth. A very teeny one. 

        "Thank God. Here, I'll walk you to the nurse. Is there a reason you came in here crying?" She asked me as she pulled me up.

        "Ugh. Just stressed out." I mumble. She nods.

        "Is it a boy?" She says knowingly. I nod.

***

The girl's name is Jane. My nose was not broken, just bruised. It wouldn't stop bleeding though, and the nurse wouldn't let me go back to class until it stopped. I told her that I had to walk my best friend to his next class, and he couldn't see, so she finally let me go after handing me a box of tissues. 

Jane walked with me.

        "Your best friend is the blind kid?" She asked me. I nod.

        "Yeah. Batt." I say.

        "What kind of a name is bat?"

        "Doh, batt!" I try to say. But it was hard to talk with a plugged nose.

        "Ohhhh Matt. I see. He seems nice enough." She says. I nod. We get to my class and she takes my hand, writing her number on it.

        "Here, call me sometime. I'll make it up to you for bruising your nose. Maybe you can have more than just one friend." She says with a shy smile. I nod, then walk into my classroom, putting the pass back.

        "Emilee I hope your bruised nose wasn't the result of a fight." The teacher said, looking up from his computer. When he saw the confused look on my face, he smiled.

        "The nurse messaged me. Go sit down." He motions. I nod and sit next to Matt, setting my kleenex box on my desk and tap Matt's desk with my pencil, like I always do. He sets his book down and cautiously reaches over, touching my hand that's holding my kleenex to my face.

        "What did you do?" He whispers.

        "A girl accidently hit me in the face with the stall door. I now have her number." I whisper. He smiles.

        "Geez, is that your new way of making friends? Purposely jumping in front of opening stall doors?"

        "Nope, just getting delivered muffins." I say. He grins even wider, his dimples appearing.

Oh yeah, I loved his dimples too.