Chapter 24: Falling Slowly

Emilee's POV:

I woke up the next morning drenched in sweat, breathing hard and clutching my stomach in pain. I had a nightmare, a horrible one too. It was from my past, the reason I got my scars. I was crying, and I didn't realize it until I heard the strange gasping sounds that I realized were coming from me. I instantly thought of calling Matt, but no, he didn't know the full secret of my scars yet. I couldn't talk to him. I checked the time and saw that it was only 3:30 am, and I had two and a half hours before others would be up. I couldn't be alone. 

        I was so tempted to go wake Matt up to go on a spontaneous adventure, I really was. I still had his jacket to give back. 

I was about to just give it up and go on Tumblr or watch my YouTubers for the next few hours when my nightmare came back in full force, just for a second, and my stomach lurched. Heh, nope. Sorry Matt, you don't need sleep anyways, I know that you fall asleep in English class.

I put my shoes on and open my window, grabbing my phone and climbing out. But first I adjusted the pillows under my blankets and even played my radio. Just in case my parents caught me again. I was done being grounded, but they still didn't like the fact that I still hung out with Matt.

I walked over there and walked over to where his window was, and tapped on it lightly. I saw that he was sitting up in bed though, and his head turned towards the window. He opened it, and in a few seconds he was climbing out, shutting it just barely and sticking a branch in there.

        "You're lucky I was awake. Whataya need?" He asks. 

        "I-I just need a distraction I suppose. Nightmare." I say. He nods and takes my hand, leading me to our park. I'm quiet all the way, and when we sit underneath the tree, I don't do anything except put my head on his shoulder and cover my face, taking in his contented emotions to calm me. Not taking them away, he still had them, but I suppose I was just sharing them. I knew he wouldn't mind anymore.

He stayed silent, and I kept my face covered until I could breathe normally without freaking out. 

Some people would've told me that I was just overreacting, and it was just a nightmare, and I should just go back to sleep, but no, they didn't understand. 

I almost died that night. How I got my scars. And the therapy and hospital afterwards was horrible, painful, and ugh... I could never go back. 

        "Do you want to talk about it?" He asks me quietly. I hesitate. I had my family to talk to, but they overreacted. And Matt was the only other person who knew about the scars, but not the reason behind them. This was more of a well guarded secret then my emotion reading.

        "No."

        "Do you have any music?" I ask. He shakes his head.

        "No, don't you have your phone?" He asks me. I shake my head.

        "It died, I forgot to charge it." I say. He laughs.

        "I could sing to you." He says in a joking tone. I don't laugh, instead I look up to him with a small smile.

        "I'd like that." I say. He stutters.

        "I was joking, I-" but he sighs.

He gets quiet, thinking of a song, but then starts to sing in a low voice my favorite song, how he knew it I had no idea because I never told him.

        "I don't know you, but I want you all the more for that. Words fall through me, and always fool me, and I can't react..." he sings. I smile and listen to him sing, closing my eyes. He's got such a sweet voice, and I'd sing the harmony part, but I can't sing and can't carry a tune to save my life. So I just listen.

He finishes and I clap. He grins shyly.

        "I wish we didn't have school tomorrow." I mumble, opening my eyes and looking at him.

        "Oh, but you do. I have a surprise for you." He smiles.

        "What is it?" I ask.

        "You'll know when it's there." He says. I frown, I hate waiting. I try threatening him.

        "I'll sit on you if you don't tell me." I say. He snorts.

        "Go ahead." I don't, but I try bribing.

        "Uhmm I'll kiss you if you tell me." It's a cheap shot, because I knew that he tried to kiss me at the beach. He hesitated, but then shook his head.

        "Nuh uh."

I sighed frustratedly.

We don't stay outside for much longer, because I start yawning. We walk home hand in hand and I bump his shoulder, showing him that basically, I was glad he existed.

        "Thankyou. I just needed someone I suppose." I say. He nods.

        "No problem."