Chapter 13: A secret best kept

Matt's POV:

I rubbed my eyes as I fought overthinking. I could get myself depressed very easily if I thought too much, about how much it sucked not being able to see. If my friends were tired of me yet, if Emilee was even tired of me yet. God, I didn't even know what was going on around me anymore. Emilee's become more and more stressed out lately and it's making me wonder if I'm being a burden, embarrassing her. Because the guys that picked on me are now all over her, throwing stuff at her and trying to jump her in between classes. It's horrible. And in english class yesterday I could tell she was crying. I could so tell. Just by the way her breath caught every once in a while, how she sniffled a little. Telltale signs. Then she suddenly jumped up and left, was gone for a long time, then came back and apparently got a bruised nose.

        I was seriously worried now, wondering if the guys got her and she was just faking the getting hit by a stall door.

I growled frustratedly as my head filled with negative thoughts. I remember being told that people who lose their sight can become very easily depressed. Yeah well, great. Like I need anything else fucking wrong with me.

        No one wants to hang out with a blind guy. A burden. Can't even do anything with him....just sits there and listens in on everything...weird...creepy.

Okay, that's it.

        I stand up suddenly, startling Bubba who's laying next to me. "Come on, boy. We're going for a walk." I say. I put on my shoes and walk quietly out the back door. It's cold out, even though it's not even september yet, and I shiver, wondering if I should just hang out with Emilee instead. Then I remembered she made another friend, and is probably hanging out with her/him. Just great. 

I walk up to the convinience store and walk to the back, since I've done this so many times.

        "Charlie here?" I ask. 

        "Yooooo! Matt! Looking great. How are ya?" He asks. A hand slaps my back and leads me to the back.

        "I'm gonna have to get another drink, Charlie." I say. 

        "Matt. As much as I love you, your scrawny ass is gonna get me fired."

        "I have the money." I say. He sighs.

        "Fine fine fine." He pushes a bottle into my hand and I hand him the cash.

        "Thanks."

        "Don't get a girl pregnant." He says in return. I smirk and walk out the back door of the store with Bubba, who's whining because he knows what I'm doing.

I wait until I'm in my backyard tent, which I like to sleep in sometimes if my parents are bugging me. I get along with them just fine, it's just that sometimes they forget that even though I'm blind, I don't need help with everything.

I pop open the bottle and I hear a bark.

        "Bubba go inside." I say. He whines, nudging my arm. I nearly spill it.

        "Go." I say with more force. He doesn't want me to do this, but I need to. I pet his head and say in a quieter voice.

        "Just go inside."

He finally listens, and I zip my tent back up. 

        I take a long drink, and shake my head at the tart taste. My thoughts start to blurr, and suddenly they're all sliding away, and I don't think about anything anymore.

A smile comes to my face as I take another drink.

One thought does come back though, and I dismiss it.

        This is one secret from Emilee that's best kept.