Chapter 14: Worry in my eyes

--------------> picture is Jane

        Emilee's POV:

I gasp as I'm clutching my sides, leaning over. I try to catch my breath, tears streaming out of my eyes. My vision is blurry and all I can hear is the sound of laughter. I hit the carpet.

I'm laughing so fucking hard.

        "No....noo....You did not!" I manage out. Jane is on my side, laughing with me. I'm snorting a mile a minute.

        "I did! I literally walked in, in just my brother's boxers!" She said. I shook my head.

        "Oh God.... no wonder you hate parties." I say. She nods. 

Jane and I decided to make plans and have a sleepover. Yeah, on a school night. My parents didn't care what night of the week it was on, they told me if I failed a test the next day or got in trouble for sleeping in class, it was my own fault. They always let me make my own mistakes, so I could learn from them.

We were in my attic, since we had an attic instead of a basement, there was a giant window that oversaw our street. It was amazing. I'd spend pretty much all my time up here if there wasn't the occasional spider up here. I decided not to mention that to Jane.

We were sprawled on the mismatched rugs, two partly empty pizza boxes next to us, and a giant jug of purple soda about half empty. Jane loved the stuff. Music was playing on YouTube, as well as random videos we decided to put on the list. We had no TV up here, so we just decided to bring my laptop and a bunch of DVD's up.

        "Got any crazy stories?" She asked me once we stopped laughing. I thought, then, deciding I could trust her, I lifted up my shirt to show her my tattoo. But just for a second. 

        "Okay. SO. I was fourteen. I had a crap ton of birthday money from my grandparents, and had just gotten out of a fight with my parents about...stuff. How irresponsible I was, how I was too young to know anything, blah blah blah. So I run from my house, to the tattoo parlor, and slap my money down on the counter and say 'I want a tattoo'." I say. Her eyes go wide and she pulls her knees up to her chest to listen.

        "I get the weirdest looks. From pretty much all the employees. Until one boy, Ashton Michael Collins. He comes up to me, holds up a giant tattoo needle, and says 'you bring the cash I bring the pain'. He's so cute. He has a nose piercing, and a sleeve of tattoos. Flowers actually. Bright orange-ish blonde hair. Like yours but electrified. So I pay up front, then go lay down on the chair, and ask for this. He does the tattoo, tells me he's tempted to tattoo his number on me, but instead I take a tracer pen and right it on his arm. WHILE he's doing the tattoo." I say.

Her eyes go even wider and she doesn't take her eyes off me as she chugs more grape soda, motioning for me to go on.

        "What happens after that?" She asks me.

        "We go to his house and make out." I say smiling. 

        "You still see him?" She asks. I shake my head, I can feel my smile fading.

        "No, it lasted about four days. Caught him with another girl, and apparently she's been his girlfriend for a loooong time." I say. I can feel pure sympathy come from her and she rubs my shoulder, then takes another swig of the grape pop.

        "That's stuff is disgusting." I say after trying some. It was like fizzy grape juice and I hated grape juice.

        "Yeah it is." She says, drinking some more. I frown, confused.

        "Then why do you drink it?"

        "Because it's fricking addicting." 

        "You're weird."

        "Duh."

For the first time all night, I thought about Matt. How he was doing, what he was doing. I purposely left my phone downstairs, and had my mom tell me if anything urgent was happening.

        "You okay?" She asks me. I look over at her and smile, shaking my head. 

        "Yeah." 

        "You have worry in your eyes."

        "It's always there."

***

        "Am I pretty?" I hear a small voice ask. My eyes shoot open, and I start, because at first I didn't recognize who's voice it was. I felt small ribbons of worry, self-dislike and anxiousness come from her. I was currently curled up in a ball on the floor, wrapped in a giant fuzzy comforter. Like a burrito.

        "That's a random question." I say, shifting so I faced her.

        "Well I mean... I've been told alot that I was, and told alot that I wasn't." She shrugs. I look at her strawberry-blonde hair, that's thicker than my hair. Big blue eyes. And very well-defined collar bones. And a bunch of dark freckles all over. She was adorable, really. I thought people's flaws were adorable. The little teeny gap in between her teeth.

        "Yeah." I say. She was.

She smiled and nodded.

        "You too." Then she closed her eyes and just like that, went to sleep.