Chapter 16: It can't be love... It just can't.

Emilee's POV:

I went to sleep that night with a smile on my face, all tingly on the inside that Matt was actually planning something other than just spontaneously asking to hang out. It made me sad that he felt so left behind, and if I could, I'd do anything to give him my eyes so he could see again. I felt happy around him, and he was the only person who wouldn't judge me because of my looks.

        I woke up the next morning with the image of us kissing plastered behind my eyes, yet another dream like that. 

I groaned and put my face in my hands. It felt so real. And so, so wrong. Yet right at the same time.

        I just couldn't like Matt like I do. I knew he didn't feel the same way. What sane person would? I annoyed him with the fact that I could pretty much read his mind. He stopped holding my pinkie on the way to classes too. He told me it was so he didn't have to embarrass me anymore, but I knew that he was the one embarrassed. Didn't want to be known as the freak who hung out with weird girls with blue mouths and awkward dyed hair.

I felt tears come to my eyes as I walked over to my closet, picking out a purple sundress that Marcie got me for my sixteenth birthday, and it had a white belt sinched at the middle. I put on black leggings underneath, since I didn't need too much attention drawn to me. The dress was a tad seethrough, so I wore a purple bra underneath as well.

***

        "Looking foxy today Em!" Jane said to me as she came up next to me, smiling. I quickly sifted through her emotions to find that she was indeed sincere. I smiled back.

        "Thanks." It was unfortunate that we didn't have any classes together, but our fifth period classes were right next to each other, so we got to walk together. Matt was considerably nicer towards Jane, and he seemed in an even better mood today than before. I wondered if it had to do with us hanging out this weekend. That boy had something up his sleeve, and I didn't know if I liked it or not.

        "So, Matt, you're more smiley than usual." Jane said conversationally. She knew that he didn't like her that much. Probably by the way he purposely pretended to be blind AND deaf around her. But this time he turned towards the direction of her voice and gave her a dimply smile. One that melted my heart. And broke it. Jane was gorgeous, and his friends all knew it too. 

 The one called Tyler, who constantly flirted with me, now instead constantly bothered me by asking me if Jane was single or if I could give him her number. I shouldn't feel this way, but yet I do.

        "Oh ya know, just in a good mood I suppose. I hear Tyler wants your number. You gonna give it to him?" He asks. I smirk at Jane, who immediately blushes.

        "Maybe." She says. Matt chuckles.

***

Friday is closer than ever, and I end up becoming so nervous about it that Marcie even notices. 

I'm in my room, doing a marathon of Tyler Oakley videos when she walks in and plops down on my hammock, smiling at me.

        "Emma-Jane's got a da-ate, Emma-Jane's got a da-ate." she sings. I laugh, realizing my middle name was also my best friend's name. Damn, I'm slow. I pause my videos and turn to her, crossing my arms.

        "I so do not. We're just going out for the weekend."

        "Oh really? What do mom and dad think you're doing?" She asks. 

        "Sleeping over at Jane's." I mumble. They'd kill me if they knew about all these times that I snuck out. Marcie only knew because Jane unknowingly let it slip to her that I was hanging out with Matt instead. That's when I took her grape soda from her.

        "Don't think I don't know about all those nights you snuck out either. I'm not deaf to hearing you sneak in." She says with an evil grin. I blanche and feel my heart beat pick up. Oh geez, i'm so done. Goodbye Matt, I'm forever a slave to Marcie now.

        "What do you want?" I sigh.

        "I want to get you into a bikini." She says unexpectedly. I frown.

        "No way. I look terrible in them."

        "Unless you want me to rat you out to mom and dad, you're getting in the car with me right now to get you one." She says.

I frown and follow her out.

Little do I know that she's in on Matt's plan. Her and Carter. Jane as well.