Chapter 8: Damn Good Gummy Worms

Emilee's POV:

My heart raced as I climbed out of my window, wincing at every creak and groan it made. I was oiling it first thing tomorrow when I got home from school. Geez, Matt was crazy. I didn't live on the crazy side of life, I never saw a reason to. My idea of hanging out was what we did the day before yesterday. I looked up on a map where the nearest Lake was, and drove to it. Just the sight of it and the smell of the salt had made me tear up, and I was glad Matt couldn't see me. How pathetic.

        I climbed out successfully, shutting it barely then leaving a stick in the space so it wouldn't click shut on me. That would be unfortunate.

I then walked around my house, sticking my hand in my jeans pocket to check for cash. I took some out of the cookie jar in our kitchen, where we kept money that was whomever's to spend on extra things like snacks or headphones or whatever.

I could sense him before I saw him. His emotions were like the color violet. Warm, but very cool at the same time. Dark, but a hidden darkness to it. There he was, sitting there whistling "Waiting for Superman" by Daughtry. Bubba sat at his side, alert. When Bubba spotted me, he woofed quietly. 

        "How on earth did you sneak out?" I asked. I couldn't picture him climbing out of a window.

        "We have a back door in our laundry room. Leads right into our backyard." He said, a sly smile creeping onto his face. His black snake bites shone under the street lamp light, and the moon made the lines of his face sharper, more defined. He looked like an angel of darkness.

Wait, what?

        I met him on his sidewalk, and we walked down the street I remembered walking with Marcie, one that led directly into town. I slapped at my arms and legs, feeling the stinging sensation of a mosquito bite. We could've taken my truck, but the engine was loud. It definitely would've woken my parents.

        "So, why the spontanity?" I ask. He shrugs, smiling. Little ringlets of mischeviousness appear, along with excitement. I couldn't help but feel excited too.

        "Have you ever snuck out at night before?" he asks me.

        "Like, once. I never wanted to do it again. Me and my friends Amy, Maria and Rebecca snuck out to TP our least favorite teacher's car. Ugh, she was horrible, she gave us an extra homework assignment to do if we didn't do well enough on the first one. I hated her. Well, it was going great, until that is Amy decides to try and open the door to see if she can TP the inside. The car alarm goes off, and sets off the other cars too. We screamed and ran as far as we could. God, I never felt so terrified in my life." I tell him. He's laughing, and I notice that he puts his hand up to his mouth when he laughs, as if he's trying to cover it up or hide it.

        "Nice. Me and the soccer team egged our coach's mailbox and filled it with whipped cream one night. I don't know why we did it." He said. I laughed. I could imagine him doing such a thing.

We made it to a convinience store, one that was open all hours, and walked inside. The warm, misty summer night air was quickly replaced with cold, air conditioning. I shivered and wondered why I didn't bring a jacket. Before I could protest, Matt had taken his own jacket off and placed it around me.

I smiled a little at the gesture.

        We walked through the aisles, pointing out random foods that sounded good at the moment. At some point we got separated, but I didn't worry because he had Bubba inside with him. That lucky dog could go in anywhere with him.

We met up outside, and I laughed at the fact that I had pretty much blown $12 on junk food and whatever else looked fun to buy at the moment. Matt had a stocked up plastic sack like mine, so i'm assuming he did the same.