Chapter 28: Determination

Emilee's POV:

I had a new-found determination in me, as I walked over to Matt's house. I just happened to know that he wasn't home, and was at Marcus's house staying the night. It's been almost a week since Matt asked me to be his. You had no idea how happy I was when he asked, but I played it cool. But on the inside I was shaking with happiness. But now it gave me even more of a reason to help him. 

        Tap tap ta-tap tap.

I knocked on the front door of his house, and I heard a sly voice from the other end.

        "No Anna, I don't wanna build a snowman." Carter's voice laughs. I roll my eyes.

        "Ha ha. Can I come in?" I ask.

        "I'm home alone. I can't have anyone of the female persona inside."

        "Then talk to me outside."

        "Sorry, that technically counts." He says. I sigh, knowing that he was more than happy to talk to me, he was just trying to annoy me. I could totally read that. 

        "Well then I suppose I should just run along, ya know...go talk to my parents, about how I've seen more than one of the female persona enter your house and not come out for a long time." I say. He opens the door suddenly, making me step back. He has a deadly look on his face.

        "You so wouldn't."

        "Try me." I say, putting my hands on my hips. He rolls his eyes, then makes an exaggerated gesture and a bow of letting me in. 

        "You're just as bad as Matt. So, what do you want to talk about. Want to be added to the list of multiple girls?" He asks, winking at me. I laugh.

        "No thanks. I came to talk to you about Matt." I say. He lets out an annoyed sigh and plops down on a chair.

        "I am not getting in on another crazy idea to go to the beach. And I am most definitely not giving you relationship advice." He says. I scoff and sit down too, facing him.

        "As if, I can go to Marcie for that. No, it's about his problem." I say, trying to be vague.

        "Yes Emilee, I hate to break it to you, but Matt's blind." He says with fake sympathy, patting my hand. I make an exasperated noise and he grins at me.

        "No. The fact that he gets drunk. A lot." I say. He stops grinning and looks down. 

        "Oh. That." I feel the carefree contentness get replaced with sadness, pity and worry.

        "I want to help him stop. To get him to quit drinking." I say. He gives me a meloncholy smile.

        "Wishful thinking there, Emi. But I can't do anymore than you can. The most we could do to get him to stop is tell. But then he would never speak to either of us again." He said.

        "What if they accidentally found out, or caught him in the middle of being drunk?" I tried.

        "I tried that already. I waited until he was drunk enough to be singing, and I took him inside the house, but apparently he's one of those drunks who are able to remember everything that was happening, and he got so pissed at me." He shrugged. I sighed.

        "Have you tried cutting him off at the source?" I asked.

        "Yahuh. He just went to a different store. Trust me, this has been happening for a while now. I've tried everything." He says.

I put my hand on Carter's shoulder when I notice the look of defeat on his face. 

        "I'll think of a way."