You're Beautiful

Emily's mom is always telling her she's pretty, and Emily guesses she agrees.

She likes her face, although sometimes she feels like her eyes are too small, and being one of the tallest people in her grade since she was twelve hadn't been easy.

Most people, Emily's found, are reluctant to date someone who is practically a tower.

So while Emily appreciates when people call her pretty, she longs to be seen as more than that-beautiful, sexy, gorgeous, even, like Chloe or Stacie.

Emily's getting ready to go to the party in DJ Khaled's suite, but she can't seem to get her makeup right, and she worries that her heels are making her too tall, and-

The door bangs open, startling Emily out of her spiral.

"Babe, do you have a spare-wow." Y/N stops short, staring at Emily, standing anxiously in front of the mirror.

"Is it too much?" Emily asks, pulling at the fabric of her dress.

"No, you-wow," Y/N says again, shaking her head. "You look beautiful."

Emily blinks. "You think I'm beautiful?"

Y/N's face softens, and Emily thinks she sees a little bit of pink dusting her cheeks. "Of course I do," she says quietly before leaning down to plant a soft kiss on Emily's lips.

"Thank you," Emily says, her stomach feeling fluttery. She feels the urge to take Y/N's hand in her own, but she doesn't want to ruin the moment.

Y/N seems to read Emily's mind, because she reaches out and squeezes Emily's hand, just once, before letting go and clearing her throat, as if suddenly remembering why she came into Emily's room in the first place.

"Do you, um, have a spare safety pin? Chloe needs one." Y/N asks.

"Oh, yeah, sure," Emily says, rummaging in one of the pockets of her suitcase. "Here you go baby."

"Thanks," Y/N says, taking the pin and turning to go. She gives Emily a soft kiss before leaving.

Emily looks at herself in the mirror again, suddenly finding that she can't find anything to pick apart.

All she was missing was the dopey grin on her face.